PDA

View Full Version : Computer Integration Help

pgpcb
04-12-2013, 09:09 AM
Recently I've had this idea of taking a traditional cb radio, swr meter, amp, a mic fx/control unit, and putting them together all into one unit. This unit would, instead of using the physical controls, be controlled by a computer. I plan to use a program by national instruments called labview. With this software as well as some additional I/O hardware from NI, I should be able to read values and control switches and such with relative ease. I have three main areas of concern, however, and I was hoping that someone might be able to help or point me towards a radio witch would make any of this easier.

1. Channel selection dial
I'm not quite sure how I would integrate this into my computer system. This is made even more difficult by the differences between radios. My NATO uses a binary weighting system, which might be do-able in labview, however the nato isn't the radio I'm looking to convert, and I don't know if this selector design is fairly standard, or not. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

2. Volume control
This one isn't as big of a deal, as I'll likely be running un-amplified audio into the computer for processing, anyway, however I'd still like to be able to use the built in speaker if needed. This would seem easy, however I know that the actual audio is being passed through this component, and I'm not sure if this would cause problems with using DAQ equipment, as is would be higher current than the other components. I know little about this problem, any info appreciated.

3. Limited I/O
I need to do this using as little computer I/O connection as possible, because the DAQ setup I have only has 8 channels, however, if really needed, I might be able to get my hands on a 16 ch. box. I'm using a PowerBook G4 running OSX 10.5 and LabView 7.1 with a third party PCMCIA DAQ card, if anyone knows labview.

Thanks in advance,
badwolf

rifleman223
04-12-2013, 09:52 AM
Can you do all that for $299.95 ??

CB'ers are cheap, you know !!

RFBurnz
04-12-2013, 10:14 AM
Dear Bro,

First off, welcome to the forum. Secondly, I do enjoy the premise of your theoretical integration project, as I have pondered such thoughts myself over the years.

but lets realize, cb radio technology has not advanced, at all, since its inception 30-40 years ago. So essentially you are trying to re-invent a wooden wheel here.

I love being able to jump online and troll a grandmother in viet-nam, and then grab my mic and key down some chumps in my 32 pill dwagon. But never both at the same time.

In short, stop being a dick. CB and IT are and always will be segregated.

pgpcb
04-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Hey man, I'm not trying to sell anything here, I just want this for myself. I want a 'fancy' radio setup, but I don't have the cash, also, there's definately an element of 'can I do it' to this. It also presents some interesting opportunities, such as recording conversations to my hard drive, channel scanning, channel favorites, audio waveform, audio effects/filtering, and, along with an antenna design I've thought up, automatic SWR tuning.

Yeah, I know cb and it are usually separate, but the only reason is because cb is fairly uncommon these days, if it were more popular, we'd have cb attachments for our iPads, which would do all of the things I've described, which is my eventual goal. Not trying to step on any toes or anything, just seemed like a fun, challenging project, which would produce something very useful and cool.

-badwolf

rifleman223
04-12-2013, 11:10 AM
pgpcb...

Don't take anything RFBurnz says to heart.

He is our resident Dick/Troll on this site... He doesn't even own a radio !!

RFBurnz
04-12-2013, 11:23 AM
don't take it to heart? dude I'm just spewing reality, if you can't take it then go shove a stapler up your corn hole.

rifleman223
04-12-2013, 01:34 PM
don't take it to heart? dude I'm just spewing reality, if you can't take it then go shove a stapler up your corn hole.

You sure seem to get butthurt easily nowadays.....

Mad because daddy won't allow piss bottles in the basement anymore ?

pgpcb
04-12-2013, 08:13 PM
No offense intended nor taken, haha, it's all good

HiDef
04-12-2013, 08:42 PM
Channel selector you might take a look at a SAMS service manual for your CB. They include a truth table for frequency. Simple hi or low pins on chip.

BallJoint
04-12-2013, 10:14 PM
Ranger 2950 has up and down buttons for channels along with the selector knob. Would be easy to adapt to I/O. You could run volume control with a step setup via resistors through your I/O, select the correct resistor for 25%,50%,75%..... Most of the other features on the 2950 are push button also, very adaptable. I have thought about this very project. Just have not taken it on.

pgpcb
04-13-2013, 12:49 AM
Ranger 2950 has up and down buttons for channels along with the selector knob. Would be easy to adapt to I/O. You could run volume control with a step setup via resistors through your I/O, select the correct resistor for 25%,50%,75%..... Most of the other features on the 2950 are push button also, very adaptable. I have thought about this very project. Just have not taken it on.
Thank you, I'll look into that radio