PDA

View Full Version : Base Antenna Height Requirement

DCDEEPWOODS
05-09-2009, 08:57 PM
I don't have much experience with base stations but would love to have another one sometime soon. My question is about the height of the antenna. What height is the starting height that will work properly? I know there is pretty much no limit as the height you can go as long as you don't get where you need a light on your tower or break any local laws but where is a good starting height?

demolition
05-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Hight is might. Get it as high as you can

DCDEEPWOODS
05-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Hight is might. Get it as high as you can

WOW!!! Thanks for answering my question.

demolition
05-09-2009, 09:08 PM
If you have a chimny or good tree that would be ok. I know some people who have it to low and dont get out good at all. Use a little common sense to figure some things out. Do you want everyone to hold it for you to lol

cowboy221
05-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Someone may correct this but I am pretty sure in the AARL handbook, when operating on citizens band , the tip of the ant. can only be a 60 feet.,,,,221

MoJo
05-09-2009, 09:54 PM
I have been told a whole wave length, so start at 36 feet.

The FCC says 65 feet max unless close to an airport then there may be height restrictions imposed by the FAA.

I dont think anyone cares or pays attention to the 65 foot rule anymore.

05-09-2009, 10:01 PM
height is might but you can get good results with a low antenna ,in calif i always had my antennas on a 2 story roof 40-50 foot to botom of imax 5000 here in az i have a 1story house with a teracotta roof and hoa restrications , so my imax is on a 9 foot pipe in the middle of my small back yard ive talked skip all over the country and from 25-30 mhz, with just radio pwr i can talkto locals about 30 miles away HEIGHT IS MIGHT BUT LOW CAN GO

DCDEEPWOODS
05-09-2009, 10:20 PM
I have been told a whole wave length, so start at 36 feet.

The FCC says 65 feet max unless close to an airport then there may be height restrictions imposed by the FAA.

I dont think anyone cares or pays attention to the 65 foot rule anymore.

Now that's what I was looking for. 36 feet is the magic number from what I have been told but wanted to make sure. I didn't want to throw that number out there just incase I was not remembering the right number. Thanks

DCDEEPWOODS
05-09-2009, 10:21 PM
If you have a chimny or good tree that would be ok. I know some people who have it to low and dont get out good at all. Use a little common sense to figure some things out. Do you want everyone to hold it for you to lol

You still an idiot... Not LOL

demolition
05-10-2009, 04:45 PM
You still an idiot... Not LOL

I think if you sit on it that it would help you

BOOTY MONSTER
05-10-2009, 05:47 PM
per the FCC ....
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=operations&id=cb

"There are no height restrictions for antennas mounted on vehicles or for hand-held units. For structures, the highest point of your antenna must not be more than 20 feet above the highest point of the building or tree on which it is mounted, or 60 feet above the ground. There are lower height limits if your antenna structure is located within two miles of an airport."

im not saying its enforced or that folks dont get away with completely ignoring it and going sky high .
just saying thats what the FCC says .
if theres a question in the future and you want or need to know what they say then you know where you stand .

05-11-2009, 09:56 PM
What is up Demolition, every thread I go to you are instigating shit with DCDeepwoods. WTF?

MoJo
05-11-2009, 10:27 PM
They were both warned...

Thanks 295.

demolition
05-11-2009, 11:05 PM
What is up Demolition, every thread I go to you are instigating shit with DCDeepwoods. WTF?

That was dropped so get over it

High Voltage
05-12-2009, 12:23 AM
your aloud 60 feet out of the tallest tree in the cb radio hamfest book.

BOOTY MONSTER
05-12-2009, 12:53 AM
the hamfest book isnt the law . the fcc is .
.....................im just sayin' .......................

High Voltage
05-12-2009, 12:57 AM
the hamfest book isnt the law . the fcc is .
.....................im just sayin' .......................

booty dont you dare fight me on this one. know the facts first . fcc inforces communication not your structure or antenna height. :p

BOOTY MONSTER
05-12-2009, 01:16 AM
so the hamfest book enforces antenna height ???
no need to fight , youre wrong .

truth be told ......... as long as your station doesnt bother anyone youre pretty much assured you wont be bothered either . the rules are very rarely enforced from what i can tell and rarely is it a single operator that gets their attention , its usually a business selling amps or converting exports or tuning cbs .

if push comes to shove and you need a legal president for your legal antenna height who is the authority ? a cb handbook or the goverment agency that makes and (ocassionally) enforces the rules ?

p.s. the fcc says "For structures, the highest point of your antenna must not be more than 20 feet above the highest point of the building or tree on which it is mounted, or 60 feet above the ground."

High Voltage
05-12-2009, 01:56 AM
so the hamfest book enforces antenna height ???
No need to fight , youre wrong .

Truth be told ......... As long as your station doesnt bother anyone youre pretty much assured you wont be bothered either . The rules are very rarely enforced from what i can tell and rarely is it a single operator that gets their attention , its usually a business selling amps or converting exports or tuning cbs .

If push comes to shove and you need a legal president for your legal antenna height who is the authority ? A cb handbook or the goverment agency that makes and (ocassionally) enforces the rules ?

P.s. The fcc says "for structures, the highest point of your antenna must not be more than 20 feet above the highest point of the building or tree on which it is mounted, or 60 feet above the ground."

60 feet out of the tallest tree booty.. Get yourself together for the forums sake.

BOOTY MONSTER
05-12-2009, 02:12 AM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

magilla gorilla
05-12-2009, 02:11 PM
That was real cool of you Demo................

demolition
05-12-2009, 02:21 PM
That was real cool of you Demo................

:puke:Yeah ok, beat it

05-12-2009, 06:35 PM
They were both warned...

Thanks 295.

Cool deal...:thumbsup:

demolition
05-12-2009, 06:38 PM
:puke:
Cool deal...:thumbsup:

StinkyFinger
05-17-2009, 12:29 AM
Here in my county, we have a height restriction of 35 feet to the tip of the antenna. It sucks because I have trees taller than that. My problem is not really code enforcement but rather the old @$$ farts in my neighborhood who have nothing better to do than complain...which leads to code enforcement HAVING to come out then. God forbid I miss mowing 2 weeks in a row.