PDA

View Full Version : HiFi Mods for radio

Lightning_Bolt
04-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Someone said to me that you can do HiFi mods to a radio. I take it that means the speaker, but what about transmit? Anyone know where I can get a HiFi Speaker for my Stonewall? Help me understand what this guy was talkin about

Reverend Bow
04-06-2010, 10:20 PM
The Hi-Fi audio that we speak of here is mainly meant for transmit audio.

It can usually be don't by swapping a few caps in the transmit audio chain, and then running some outboard processing gear and a studio style microphone to achieve more audio bandwidth.

As far as RX Hi-Fi Audio, I have done that as well. You don't need a "Hi-Fi" speaker as much and use the external speaker output to drive a better speaker.

The question is:

What are you looking to accomplish?

Wider Transmit audio?
Wider Receive Audio?
Both?
Do you have any external processing Gear?
Do you have a quality microphone?

We need a little background on the situation here...

and a schematic of the radio will help ;)

Captain Morgan
04-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Wirelessly posted (Captain Morgan NJ 400 mobeal: Treo800w/v0100 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE, PPC; 320x320) (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

Rev, could you expand on what caps to swap on say a cobra 29? and would it help the audio without going into the processors and studio mics. some of us would like a little edge on audio clarity while running in the mobile.

Lightning_Bolt
04-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Stonewall Jackson = EPT360014B board
No HiFi gear
Both TX/RX if able
No External Gear
D104 Mic

Reverend Bow
04-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Wirelessly posted (Captain Morgan NJ 400 mobeal: Treo800w/v0100 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE, PPC; 320x320) (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

Rev, could you expand on what caps to swap on say a cobra 29? and would it help the audio without going into the processors and studio mics. some of us would like a little edge on audio clarity while running in the mobile.

Hey Captain,

On the Cobra 29 RX:

Change:

C33 to a 0.01uf
C40 to a 0.1uf

that will allow a bit more low end to make it through.

Now as far as TX Audiio, without running anything but a CB style mic and no Audio gear?

The CB style mics tend to be quite bandwidth limiting... so they can be an issue in themselves.

But if you want to try...
Change:
C68 to a 1uf
C37 to a 0.1uf

But here is the real kicker:

Use the modulation limiter circuit, or if you have already been clipped, set the mic gain so the radio does not over modulate.

You want a clean, clear signal. if you over modulates, it adds distortion, and even a little distortion (besides splattering across other channels and beyond) takes away from your desired clean sound.

Reverend Bow
04-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Stonewall Jackson = EPT360014B board
No HiFi gear
Both TX/RX if able
No External Gear
D104 Mic

If you don't want to run Hi Fi gear, and you already have a D104, I would just stick with that.

For the receive end, take a bookshelf speaker for a stereo and plug it into your external speaker jack.. you will be surprised what the radio will sound like through a real speaker...

If you really want more, post a link to a schematic for that radio/board and I'll take a look...

Captain Morgan
04-08-2010, 01:55 AM

Hey Captain,

On the Cobra 29 RX:

Change:

C33 to a 0.01uf
C40 to a 0.1uf

that will allow a bit more low end to make it through.

Now as far as TX Audiio, without running anything but a CB style mic and no Audio gear?

The CB style mics tend to be quite bandwidth limiting... so they can be an issue in themselves.

But if you want to try...
Change:
C68 to a 1uf
C37 to a 0.1uf

But here is the real kicker:

Use the modulation limiter circuit, or if you have already been clipped, set the mic gain so the radio does not over modulate.

You want a clean, clear signal. if you over modulates, it adds distortion, and even a little distortion (besides splattering across other channels and beyond) takes away from your desired clean sound.

thanks Rev. much appreciated.

Reverend Bow
04-08-2010, 10:22 AM
As we said in the NAVY... "Its a pleasure to serve, the pay is just extra..."

Or

"We aim to Please, not shoot to kill"

04-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Rev, off topic a little but what was your rate in the navy? Comm ET here now going through LCAC navigator school.

Reverend Bow
04-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Rev, off topic a little but what was your rate in the navy? Comm ET here now going through LCAC navigator school.

Aviation Electronics Technician (AT 3 when I got out in '96)

(Communications/Navigation/Weapons Fire Control)

04-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Cool, back on topic, I am to in the process of rebuilding this Galaxy Echo base trying a little of everything all in one mod. I plan on running direct feed audio right into the darlington pair similar to the way Joe Dirt does his, then do the normal NPC, 12 volt to the finals, then to top it off add a little Handy Andy to the driver(PC-122XL mod). I did all the other mods except for the direct feed to my 2950 and it sounds great. On the Galaxy base I have a W2IHY dual band eq to run the base until I can afford pro-tools. I have a broke down 29 that I believe the audio transformer shorted its windings out, I want to play with a pair of transistors in place of it if you know what I mean. Trying to try different things out.

scooter
04-15-2010, 12:41 PM
LB did you end up modifying the stonewall?
i'm trying to see if i can install an input for direct feed that is switchable so i can still run a mic thru the audio chain if i desire or flip a switch and go direct.

good luck with your project

Reverend Bow
04-15-2010, 01:26 PM
To do that, your can use a jack like the External speaker uses.

With the plug removed from the jack, it uses the internal source.
With a plug In the jack, It breaks the contacts on the Jack for the internal source, and uses the external source.

You break the connection between the radios mic source and the direct feed point by pulling the capacitor (I don't have the schematic in front of me, but you should remember the one I mentioned before) and feed it through the jack.

scooter
04-16-2010, 02:29 AM
now thats slick. when running direct do you still need to use impedance matching?
i just smoked my ibox so i'm back on the d104 till i figure out what i burned up in it.

Reverend Bow
04-16-2010, 03:20 PM
How can you "Smoke" an Ibox?

It is a transformer...

The impedance? it will be fine, you just need to use a Oscilloscope to check your levels to avoid over-modulation

scooter
04-16-2010, 03:25 PM
i think i overdrove it? it has absolutly no audio no matter where the potentiometer is set...

Reverend Bow
04-16-2010, 11:50 PM
I'd check my connections first...

Cables
Connectors
etc.

It you are driving it off that little Behringer Mixer, I can't see you cooking it

933Arizona
04-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Anybody have the component numbers and values for wider audio bandwidth for the cobra2000/148
Thanks in advance.

933 Arizona
in teh stickers

EDIT: Moving this to POST

Reverend Bow
04-17-2010, 11:22 PM
From Transmit or receive.. or both?

Lightning_Bolt
04-18-2010, 12:45 AM
LB did you end up modifying the stonewall?
i'm trying to see if i can install an input for direct feed that is switchable so i can still run a mic thru the audio chain if i desire or flip a switch and go direct.

good luck with your project

Have had other things goin on 33, haven't moved on anything yet

skidrow
07-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Lets just bump these old threads today what ya think?

Curley
08-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Just wanted to see if somebody here will take a look at the golfinger mods that are posted up on the wwpdx forum for the galaxy 77/88/99 and then take a look at the connex 3300hp schematic- mosfet edition, and see if the locations are the same #'s, for the one that I have is the galaxy radio and uses the ept360014 and mine is the ept360015c board and am wanting the cap location #'s just to be sure im changing the rite ones to widen the rx and the tx ones also, I do have the 2nd if filter to change out aswell im just needing the #'s to change out, thanks for anybody's help here, hidef explained a way of doing it many years ago im just wanting to try and do a newer radio as per the cap mods and 2nd filter and just see what comes of it,

- - - Updated - - -

Just wanted to see if somebody here will take a look at the golfinger mods that are posted up on the wwpdx forum for the galaxy 77/88/99 and then take a look at the connex 3300hp schematic- mosfet edition, and see if the locations are the same #'s, for the one that I have is the galaxy radio and uses the ept360014 and mine is the ept360015c board and am wanting the cap location #'s just to be sure im changing the rite ones to widen the rx and the tx ones also, I do have the 2nd if filter to change out aswell im just needing the #'s to change out, thanks for anybody's help here, hidef explained a way of doing it many years ago im just wanting to try and do a newer radio as per the cap mods and 2nd filter and just see what comes of it,

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

manonegra
01-26-2013, 06:45 PM
The Hi-Fi audio that we speak of here is mainly meant for transmit audio.

It can usually be don't by swapping a few caps in the transmit audio chain, and then running some outboard processing gear and a studio style microphone to achieve more audio bandwidth.

As far as RX Hi-Fi Audio, I have done that as well. You don't need a "Hi-Fi" speaker as much and use the external speaker output to drive a better speaker.

The question is:

What are you looking to accomplish?

Wider Transmit audio?
Wider Receive Audio?
Both?
Do you have any external processing Gear?
Do you have a quality microphone?

We need a little background on the situation here...

and a schematic of the radio will help ;) everything is pretty much set but my radio wont received audio do i need to jump pin 4 or there is another way to do this , i use a 220 akg mic to 2200mic pream to a 31 band eq to a dbx compressor andthe ibox to the radio.