User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Beavis is offline Keyin On All Yall Bitches DX Numbers: 417 Home Channel: 28,19,
    Radio
    Cobra 29LX, Davemade 1x4, MM9 Antenna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Texas Star DX667V

Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my amp and I'm wanting to get a 1x4 amp. I found a guy on craigslist thats about 25-30 miles from me that has a Texas Star DX667V for $200. He only posted one picture of it and its of the front of the amp, no inside pictures. I didn't even know they were a 1x4 amp until I read up on them on the internet. The guy says it works great. I read on cbtricks.com you have to convert them from a hf transceiver to a rf amplifier. I thought you just had to get the correct frequency crystal to use it on 11 meter. I don't know?

But on another note, I also found a Davemade M400, which we all know is a 1x4, and the guy wants $300 for it. He posted a few pics of it and the outside of the case looks to be in pretty good condition and isn't all beat to hell or anything. But, the picture of the inside looks like rough to me, but what do I know. I posted the picture below.

I just thought I'd post up and ask what everyones input and opinions are of the two and what y'all think the better choice is. I know the M400 would be the obvious better choice but the inside picture has be a little leary. I know the Texas Star amp is pretty cheap at only $200 and even if I had to put $100 +/- in it I'd probably still have a good deal. I just wanna go in the right direction here. Most of y'all are alot smart than me on this stuff and I know this, thats why I'm asking for your imput. Thanks in advance, Beavis

sent from my DavemadeŽ phone
    Quote Originally Posted by 4-400 View Post
    If a radio needs a "power mic" to modulate then its time you got a decent radio

4-400 is offline Sheep Shagger say what? DX Numbers: KZ01 Home Channel: 10.000 Mhz
    Radio
    over 400 of them
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

the resistor above the single pill driver looks like its been a bit hot just saying
    This post was not endorsed by Mauldroppers.com or the N.S.A
    Quote Originally Posted by -=PEAKABOO=- View Post
    I detect shenanigans somewhere in this thread and my eyes hurt.

3. Thanks Beavis thanked for this post
    Crusher is offline Pro Mauldropper DX Numbers: 2190 Home Channel: the trax
    Radio
    Grant XL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The TS is an alright amp for what it is. But it will be hard pressed to see 250 maybe 275w average. While. The DM you'll see closer to around 375 or so.

5. Thanks Beavis thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

just a wild guess,, looks to me like the amp has been blown a few pills at leat 2 to 3 times in its life.
    Broadcasting 3380 feet above sealevel

7. Thanks Beavis thanked for this post
    julthree is offline Kut Off ! DX Numbers: LOL Home Channel: 19
    Radio
    Down 4 life ...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Chris this box is TOAST ..... The NIGGER that waz in it. Well he's just a DOUCHE BAG !

9. Thanks Beavis thanked for this post
    Radio
    Magnum S-6, 4 pill, 10k comp
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats the first thing i noticed on the DM box is it looks like its had the pills replaced. I'd go for the 667 but i'd see if i could get him down on the price to save a few extra bucks... see if he'll let you take it off his hands for 150 cash

Radio
    Full Jew
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Texas Star DX667V

Beavis, I would base my decision on weather or not you can see either of those amps in action. If the seller is not someone you know and trust, then testing the amp with a good meter in line is the only way to go. If the seller can't or won't test it, then it's a door stop and you should walk away.

Sent from my Dave Made mobile phone.
    RDX

12. Thanks Beavis, Hippy Control, Craig thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

best thing if your not to sure about the seller then might look at going new or someone that takes good care of there equipment
    for the peace of mind a new box is the way to go that way you know whos not been in it.
    Broadcasting 3380 feet above sealevel

14. Thanks Beavis thanked for this post
    julthree is offline Kut Off ! DX Numbers: LOL Home Channel: 19
    Radio
    Down 4 life ...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Texas Star DX667V..... There amp hog's 2

16. Thanks Beavis thanked for this post
    Ghost Rider is offline Pro Mauldropper DX Numbers: 437 Home Channel: 18 & 28
    Radio
    TS-450S, FT-100, 2950DX, Stryker 497HPC,
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good grief!! That's one shitty soldering job inside! Either there has been a lot of additional work inside that thing or someone needs to stop using a torch to solder.

18. Thanks Beavis, rifleman223 thanked for this post
    Beavis is offline Keyin On All Yall Bitches DX Numbers: 417 Home Channel: 28,19,
    Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for all your input guy. I was thinking the same thing about the M400, but just needed reassurance I guess. I think I'm just gonna save a little bit more money and just buy me a new Joemade unless I find a GOOD used amp, that seems like the most logical thing to do. Thanks again guys, I really appreciate your input. Y'all have probably saved me money in the long run.

Ghost Rider is offline Pro Mauldropper DX Numbers: 437 Home Channel: 18 & 28
    Radio
    TS-450S, FT-100, 2950DX, Stryker 497HPC,
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beavis, I always look at the "tidiness" of someone's work. Neat and pretty work inside usually means that the builder took his time and took some pride in his build. It's not always true but most of the time.....it is. Also....a "clean job" means that in the future, if you have to go inside and do some work yourself, your job will be a lot easier. Nothing worse than working behind a fuck'n hack.

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider View Post
    Good grief!! That's one shitty soldering job inside! Either there has been a lot of additional work inside that thing or someone needs to stop using a torch to solder.
    I was thinking the same thing. My soldering sucks but damn. That crap looks like he just poured it in there! I've been practicing my soldering in my spare time. I like firing up the soldering iron and bonding some shit together just to practice. I'm getting better at it. Kinda embarassed to say it, but I watched a couple of soldering tutorial videos on youtube and it helped.

22. Thanks Ghost Rider thanked for this post
    Radio
    Browning Mark 3, Uniden Grant XL,Galaxy 95T, Are my main Radios in the hous
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Thank you for all your input guy. I was thinking the same thing about the M400, but just needed reassurance I guess. I think I'm just gonna save a little bit more money and just buy me a new Joemade unless I find a GOOD used amp, that seems like the most logical thing to do. Thanks again guys, I really appreciate your input. Y'all have probably saved me money in the long run.

The texas stars almost always have input tuning issues. And if I was going to run a texas star I would get the 4 pill and use a driver single pill box. Never heard much good about a 667. 500 is better I have got a use amp or two over the years but usually buy new. They can get beat on pretty good and they cant tell you how they were treated lol.

24. Thanks Beavis thanked for this post
    631 is online now RDX DX Numbers: BTK Home Channel: 0̽͊
    Radio
    A Yiddish Cobra 25
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

667s are gay. The davemade looks like it has seen too much input drive due to the discolored resistor mentioned above between the output of the driver section and input of the 4 pill final section. You can also tell it has had blown pills changed out because only two pills in the four pill section match date codes. 300 would be a good price if it was clean used with all original parts . This one has been used hard, I'd see if he is willing to come down a little bit. I'd buy that for $250.... I bet it runs pretty good. Doesn't look to be "Hacked up" or modified from it's original circuit design like alot of used amps, although you can't see the output tuning cap. Make him show you a video. The texas star is just gay.... you're going to get keyed on

26. Thanks Beavis thanked for this post
    Radio
    A Yiddish Cobra 25
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Oh an PS..... Beavis you're gay

28. Thanks Beavis thanked for this post
    Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, thanks 631!! What would I do without you. There's a guy on another website I found that has a Davemade 1x4 in a silver case for 300.00 and it's ALOT cleaner and ALOT nicer than this one. I've left him a message so hopefully he'll holler back at me soon.

Radio
    Slim built cobra 29 , Kris300m, Slim built antenna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if its in a silver case... then its a dave copy... its not a dave unless its gold

31. Thanks Beavis thanked for this post
    Radio
    A Yiddish Cobra 25
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SlimJim View Post
    if its in a silver case... then its a dave copy... its not a dave unless its gold
    Ive seen plenty of real Dave Mades in silver cases. Red cases. White cases. Black cases. Ones actually built by dave.

The dave copys (Joe Gunn Made) are ALWAYS gold.
    It's funny how rumors get spread by people that have no idea what they are talking about.

The one pictured above is a Joe Gunn built, not a for real Dave Made, just a copy of the DaveMade Design from 20 years ago with cheaper parts. You will likely never find a 1x4 or small DC box actually built by dave himself. I have one that is close.... It was built by Digger in 2006, most likely at Dave's shop. Doesn't look much like the one in the picture above.

33. Thanks Beavis, wiretwister thanked for this post
    Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are the pics of the silver box I'm talking about. Its a 2500 watt slug and being driven by a Uniden Grant into a 100 watt dummy load off an Astron 50 amp power supply, and the peak reading was taken using a Bird peak module in the Bird meter, all quoted from his for sale ad for the box. He's asking $300 shipped & insured. It looks way better than that the one I posted earlier. Worth $300??

Last edited by Beavis; 11-23-2012 at 09:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast