Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 90 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate to support this site...

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    187 is offline Apprentice Mauldropper DX Numbers: 187 Home Channel: 28
    Radio
    Motormouth Maul Technologies
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Optional Local Communications

Looking for other communication methods when there is no skip? There are other free frequencies that can be utilized at a fraction of the cost for up to 50 miles or more in range. Around my neck of the woods we have some "Rareforms" that occasionally like to get on the band and cause problems and instigate fights on the airways. We started looking around for different ways to get away from the noise and come up with an alternative go to frequency when the problem operators start crawling out of their late night holes. After doing some research and testing different equipment I have come up with what I think is a nice alternative that is less susceptible to interference on the CB band that can be used when skip dies out at the end of the day. To start there are a lot of frequencies on the UHF/VHF band that can be used with pretty inexpensive equipment and get superior results for up to 50 miles inrange.

MURS VHF FREQUENCIES: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Use_Radio_Service
    (Cannot use a repeater with murs.)

Channel 1 - 151.820 Mhz.
    Channel 2 - 151.880 Mhz.
    Channel 3 - 151.940 Mhz.
    Channel 4 - 154.570 Mhz.
    Channel 5 - 154.600 Mhz.

MARINE VHF NON-COMMERCIAL FREQUENCIES: http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtvhf (Cannot use repeater)

Channel 68 - 156.425 Mhz.
    Channel 69 - 156.475 Mhz.
    Channel 71 - 156.575 Mhz.
    Channel 77 - 156.875 Mhz.
    Channel 78A - 156.925 Mhz.

FRS UHF (Family Radio Service) FREQUENCIES:http://ba-marc.org/writeups/gmrs-frs-freq.htm
    (Cannot use repeater)

Channel 1 – 462.5625
    Channel 2 – 462.5875
    Channel 3 - 462.6125
    Channel 4 – 462.6375
    Channel 5 – 462.6625
    Channel 6 – 462.6875
    Channel 7 – 462.7125
    Channel 8 – 467.5625
    Channel 9 – 467.5875
    Channel 10 – 467.6125
    Channel 11 – 467.6375
    Channel 12 – 467.6625
    Channel 13 – 467.6875
    Channel 14 – 467.7125

GMRS UHF FREQUENCIES: (Requires $85, 5 yearlicense)
    (Can use a repeater and repeater equipment but cannot link GMRS repeaters together like Ham)

Channel 1 – 462.550 Mhz.
    Channel 2 – 462.575 Mhz.
    Channel 3 – 462.600 Mhz.
    Channel 4 – 462.625 Mhz.
    Channel 5 – 462.650 Mhz.
    Channel 6 – 462.675 Mhz. (National Emergency and Road Calling Repeater 141.3 Hz Tone)
    Channel 7 – 462.700 Mhz.
    Channel 8 – 462.725 Mhz.

I started out several months ago by buying inexpensive handhelds to tinker around with a few friends and have been having a blast with them.

EQUIPMENT POSSABILITIES

UHF + VHF Dual Band Handheld FMTransmitters: (Cheap in cost and well performing little radios)

Baofeng UV-5R $49.00 - $55.00 136-175/400-480 Mhz.
    http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-...=baofeng+uv-5r

Puxing PX-888K $80.00 - $100 ( Samefrequencies range as the Baofeng but a little better built with several other features such as alphanumeric coding without software,10 scramblers, roger beeps, longer range rubber duck antenna.) <<<<My personal choice!
    http://www.amazon.com/PuXing-PX-888-...puxing+px-888k

For these handhelds you will need an adapter to be able to use 259 coax which can be found here:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/S0239-UHF-Fe...item20ad2ed556

You can buy small business band or(commercial band) base antennas to use with your handheld for maximum range which are inexpensive in price. I recommend this antenna here as I have tested it's range and performance and there is no need for matching. There are many different antennas out there for these frequency ranges but I recommend a dual band antenna.

Here is a link to the base antenna Ihave been using:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUAL-BAND-15...item48540429be

Also if you buy multiple handhelds and a couple adapters you can get the dual band magnet mount version of the base antenna for some really super range on only 5 Watts! I'm talking anywhere from 10-50 miles depending on variables such as base antenna height, line of sight, weather conditions etc.

Here is the mobile antenna I bought and am using.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/310637539081...84.m1497.l2649

• Plus the Mag Mount which is sold separate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251244628667...84.m1497.l2649

You can also find old 4 -99 channel business band radios at Ham fests or radio shops that are VHF/UHF programmable and can run about $50-$150 depending on the condition. Most the mobile radios can transmit with 45-50 watts power on highand about 1-5 watts on low power. A good name brand for these types of radios is "VERTEX" which have Yaesu parts. Or if you feel like stepping it up a bit you could buy one of these dual band mobile radios from China:
    http://www.wouxun.com/Two-Way-Radio/KG-UV920P.htm

So for a fraction of the cost you can put together a fully operational alternative communication net with close friends and operators at a fraction of the cost and minimal equipment that will outperform CB radio for local twice fold. Hope this helps and please leave some feedback if you give this a shot and let everyone know how much better it is for local chat!

73's

Last edited by 187; 04-11-2013 at 11:57 PM.
    Northern Ohio's AM Broadcast Radio Station...

2. Thanks whitewolf, rifleman223, Craig, Castor927, BBB thanked for this post
    spacecricket is offline skiptalkin junkie DX Numbers: 558 Home Channel: WAAF in boston
    Radio
    something your momma warned you about !!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

this is where we seperate .... if you are having issues with idiots making noises and dropping carriers and just carrying on like bafoons...DO ON TO OTHERS AS THEY DO ONTO YOU... MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE FOR THEM TO DO SO ! take over the airwaves OR be more sophisticated and hunt those fuckers down and end the problem....
    WHO ORDERED THE TUBESTEAK ?

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spacecricket my days of hooking chain to antenna systems and pulling them down the road are over. The "rareform" issues were just an example. This is a guide to help individuals put together a nice alternative net using FM at low cost.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by spacecricket View Post
    this is where we seperate .... if you are having issues with idiots making noises and dropping carriers and just carrying on like bafoons...DO ON TO OTHERS AS THEY DO ONTO YOU... MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE FOR THEM TO DO SO ! take over the airwaves OR be more sophisticated and hunt those fuckers down and end the problem....
    Did you not make it past the first paragraph?

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The link for the Puxing PX888K is incorrect and for the VHF version. Here is a link to the Dual Band K version. http://www.amazon.com/Professional-D...puxing+px-888k

spacecricket is offline skiptalkin junkie DX Numbers: 558 Home Channel: WAAF in boston
    Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i guess i was mistaken when i read the fuckin header on this site... all kinds of ideas how to communicate on anything but the normal c.b. why dont you just use a fuckin cellphone and be done with it.....1-800-who gives a fuck..............

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	281918_1866200618032_1331531503_31654523_8326458_n.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	14276

7. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another quality post by Spacecricket. Thank you for all your helpful incite as it relates to absolutely nothing.

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

well,,,, a phone would be a great way to communicate with no issues,, unless of course some moron hits the cellphone tower or takes out the telephone pole... then we have the option of smoke signals.. it all relates.....and thanks for having fun with me...

10. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Radio
    Magnum S-6, 4 pill, 10k comp
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some people have a stick up their ass around here, and then there are those who seem to have had a horrible accident with a telephone pole...

- - - Updated - - -

Most people hate on ssb around here, did you really expect EVERYONE to have the warm-fuzzies for uhf handhelds?

631 is offline RDX DX Numbers: BTK Home Channel: 0̽͊
    Radio
    Big Angry Jew 68
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I always thought it would be fun to go somewhere where lots of people use the little FRS handhelds (like the beach or something) and build a bad ass beam antenna and a couple hundred watt linear, and just mess with folks. Now thats is a good use for these other frequencies. I think this thread is cool. I want to expand my options for being an asshole on the air

13. Thanks GreyGator, HiDef, N/A, Sidewinder373, bigfoot355 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

last month i got my permit for a gmrs repeater yes its 85 dollars
    at the present range im at 18 to 20 miles
    antenna from repeater is only 15 foot in the air
    when the wind calms down a bit the antenna will go up on the 70 foot tower
    that might get me 25 miles plus

and yes you can link the gmrs repeaters
    once i go up on the tower then i will cover a 30 to 35 mile range and i will put a beam up in the direction of the next town and the other guy i talk to will have a repeater setup and we will link it
    may not be quit legal but it will give a coverage of about 60 to 70 miles

if you dont use a tone on it the other gmrs bubble pack babys can get in on it
    just pl or dpl and you wont hear them
    the radio i use in the mobile is an old spectra it will light a fire under the little magmount
    it was free and free is good

also if you can find a Motorola i355
    set it up for Direct talk
    its a 900 mhz freq hopping phone that you can use for walkit talkie
    just phone alone you can get up to a mile easy
    it will either connect to the other phone or will show up user not available
    if you install a outdoor antenna then stick it up on pole then your looking at 5 miles
    if you want to boost it then get a booster and then you are 8 to 12 miles
    Last edited by 555 -N- Da Horn; 04-14-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    Broadcasting 3380 feet above sealevel

15. Thanks 187 thanked for this post
    Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have access to a gmrs repeater you can get some pretty good range using external mobile antennas. But even using external antennas on simplex at 5 watts people would be amazed at the quality and distance they can get. We have a local ham operator in my area that set up a gmrs repeater on a water tower at about 250' and it works great. I've been extremely impressed with the performance and quality thus far. Fun for those days where there is no skip and the 11m band is dead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

that 250 foot is nice setup
    yes the simplex mode is nice
    i use a sma connector to 239 i picked up from rad shack in a hurry
    the super repeater is set at 40 watts
    the spectra mobile is i think 25 or 30 watts
    so i get some good simplex use

there is a abandoned tower just south of me and all it has on it is a wireless internet company
    doing a 2.4 and 5.8
    and there is nothing on top
    once i get enough get up a go
    i will go talk to the landowner and ask for his permission
    and add him to our group
    the tower is about 180 to 200 foot
    the thing is with that height the heliax needs to come into play
    a guy in lubbock has a diggi pack setup he wanting to setup and hes waiting on me to get things sit in stone
    i have a small storage shed 6x8 tuff shed insulated built on metal frame i can sit by tower and then he can come install his equipment
    but i told him if he wanted to dotheis then he would provide the heliax and climb the tower then he would have access to building
    kinda scratch my back i scratch his setup

Radio
    Castoff junk fro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Gotta figure out how to put the RF stuff in weatherproof box up top. even heliax has stupid losses at GHZ freq.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

build a owl box or squirrel box thats big enough to put the setup in then mount it to the tower just below the antenna
    just run a extension cord up the tower

Radio
    Cobra 148
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marine frequency's are good if your away from a coast line, There fairly crowded. Marine antennas work pretty good for MURS I have a 5/8 wave mounted on my truck. It covers the top of 2 meters, Marine and MURS.

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recommend against getting a VHF or UHF only antenna as you would not be able to utilize a dual-band radio and all available frequencies. For $45 you can get a dual band commercial frequency antenna that is pre-tuned for both bands. http://www.ebay.com/itm/310637539081...84.m1497.l2649 http://www.ebay.com/itm/251244628667...84.m1497.l2649

22. Thanks Asillyscope thanked for this post
    Ghost Rider is offline Pro Mauldropper DX Numbers: 437 Home Channel: 18 & 28
    Radio
    TS-450S, FT-100, 2950DX, Stryker 497HPC,
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have one of those "Baofeng UV-5R Plus" radios. Not bad for a pissy 49 bucks. I bought the extra 3800 mah battery pack....has to be modded to fit the radio but it takes nothing more than a razor knife and about 10 minutes of work....and bought a better dual-band rubber duckie antenna. Only problem I have is that I can't get the damned software to run properly on my computer and programming it manually is an absolute ball buster! I use it mostly to listen to the local cops. hahaha!!! But like I said....mechanically speaking....it's a top notch radio for the price.

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have the data cord I can link the drivers and working software.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider View Post
    I have one of those "Baofeng UV-5R Plus" radios. Not bad for a pissy 49 bucks. I bought the extra 3800 mah battery pack....has to be modded to fit the radio but it takes nothing more than a razor knife and about 10 minutes of work....and bought a better dual-band rubber duckie antenna. Only problem I have is that I can't get the damned software to run properly on my computer and programming it manually is an absolute ball buster! I use it mostly to listen to the local cops. hahaha!!! But like I said....mechanically speaking....it's a top notch radio for the price.
    Press and HOLD the "3" on power up and tell me what firmware is on your radio.

Ghost Rider is offline Pro Mauldropper DX Numbers: 437 Home Channel: 18 & 28
    Radio
    TS-450S, FT-100, 2950DX, Stryker 497HPC,
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 187 View Post
    If you have the data cord I can link the drivers and working software.

- - - Updated - - -

Press and HOLD the "3" on power up and tell me what firmware is on your radio.
    I most certainly do have the data cable. I tried downloading and running the software a couple of times but when I open it, the screen commences to flashing. I got frustrated after about 3 times and said "fuck it". I love radios and will tinker with them 'til the cows come home but I have zero tolerance for fuck'n computers and their bullshit. But yeah....post it up and I'll try again. Haha! "BFB297" is my firmware.

26. Thanks Fogdog thanked for this post
    4-400 is online now superlaxative shitmixer DX Numbers: KZ01 Home Channel: 144.200 usb
    Radio
    ham on bone
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

baofeng uv5r
    has to be a genuine prolific program cable ..i use the anytone cable on mine with no issue you just have to remember to start program first
    ..set com port then turn rig on in that order or it just does not want to talk to the radio

a clone prolific cable will just give you the shits

the only thing that pisses me off with my uv5r is the led for the display will not light up if programmed via pc ..if you reset the rig its fine but via pc it will do nothing ...saves on battery power i guess.the stock battery sucks ..about 24 hrs at best ..my anytones have same size battery and last 3-4 days

the stock battery is a lie also ..open it up! its not a 1800ma battery ..the battery inside the battery case says 1300ma!
    Quote Originally Posted by -=PEAKABOO=- View Post
    I detect shenanigans somewhere in this thread and my eyes hurt.

"The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."
    paradox of a misanthropist :They tell you to be yourself ,then they judge you

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast