User Tag List

Fogdog is offline Apprentice Mauldropper DX Numbers: 157 Home Channel: none really
    Radio
    Stryker SR 955 HPC,10k Dual coil SW
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 10/11 Meter antenna tuning

I have a question about antenna's. I see people using and or buying export radio's. My question is how do you tune an antenna with this type of radio. I mean if you tune it on the regular CB channels, It won't be tuned on 10 meters would it. I don't know. I would like a radio that can do both cuz 1 radio to do 10 and 11 meters would be awesome.

I like Cb like everyone here. I also have my Ham Technician license that would allow me to legally use 10 meter band from 28.300 mhz to 28.500 mhz. Just not sure on that antenna. I have a 10k, and I think it works on 10 meter as well 11meter, but it would have to be shortened to use on the Ham band.

Thanks for the help.

T

I agree, it's a 10k WORLD

I've done so much for so long with so little, that now I can do anything with nothing at all.

selsyn is offline Apprentice Mauldropper DX Numbers: 187 Home Channel: Nineteen
    Radio
    D201, JewXL mobile
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends on the bandwidth of the antenna being used. Some antennas have a wider range of frequencies before the swr gets bad for the radio. I know ppl who operate at 11/10 with one antenna like a Super Penetrator tuned to somewhere in the middle. But this is not always practical since the ability to radiate is a problem when operating at the extremes of any antenna's bandwidth.

I suggest a cheap used antenna tuner that has a 10 meter switch point or rolling inductor, and big enough for the power you plan on pushing through it.

I got a maco v58 on the house tuned for resonance at ch19, and I only touch the tuner (johnson matchbox) when I need to operate at a 10m, while still keeping the transmitter seeing 50 ohms.

Naturally, it's a trade-off of having a good match vs. the increased resistance to radiation and ability to get out for DX.

s187
    Last edited by selsyn; 08-28-2013 at 10:06 PM.

3. Thanks 543, Chicken Stomper, A365 thanked for this post
    Fogdog is offline Apprentice Mauldropper DX Numbers: 157 Home Channel: none really
    Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^^^^ Ok that kind of clears it up. I guess I have my work cut out for me. Still learning stuff every day. Thx

I've done so much for so long with so little, that now I can do anything with nothing at all.

Radio
    yes
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fogdog View Post
    ^^^^^^^ Ok that kind of clears it up. I guess I have my work cut out for me. Still learning stuff every day. Thx
    nvm, sniff sniff
    Last edited by chewwy; 08-28-2013 at 11:42 PM.

Phillysports is offline Skilled Mauldropper DX Numbers: 26 Home Channel: 19 A
    Radio
    Amish Made
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a question about antenna's. I see people using and or buying export radio's. My question is how do you tune an antenna with this type of radio. I mean if you tune it on the regular CB channels, It won't be tuned on 10 meters would it. I don't know. I would like a radio that can do both cuz 1 radio to do 10 and 11 meters would be awesome.

I like Cb like everyone here. I also have my Ham Technician license that would allow me to legally use 10 meter band from 28.300 mhz to 28.500 mhz. Just not sure on that antenna. I have a 10k, and I think it works on 10 meter as well 11meter, but it would have to be shortened to use on the Ham band.

Thanks for the help.

T

You answered your own question......

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I guess I did kinda. Don't want to run two antenna's though. Maybe an antenna tuner.

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what it will probably look like inside the cab if I keep it up. Ha Ha!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like someone is living in that truck lol. Just screams break in to me with all those radios sitting on the dash like that. Find an antenna that says 26-30 MHz broadband antenna. Like said you won't have great swr on all frequencies but you can get prettily close, try to get your swr as low as possible. Good luck and god bless.

Chicken Stomper is offline Radio Operator DX Numbers: 894 Home Channel: 21
    Radio
    more then I can list. most home-brew
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just some input;

Theory supports the larger diameter the element/'s the wider the RF bandwidth. RF travels on the surface of the conductor. Give the RF more surface, and you will gain sight bandwidth.

I use a Maco V5000 5/8 and have made 3000 plus miles confirmed contacts with it on 15 meters (21MHz) with less then 100 watts. The SWR was high, but I have a tuner to keep the radio safe.

I chose this antenna just for the larger surface area you get with a aluminum 5/8 for out-of band Tuned operations.
    The Electric Utility Company phones you and asks you run barefoot during peak hours today so they don't have to have service brown outs in town! Your electric meter sounds like a 737 spooling up for take off when you key down! When it does, the dog goes and hides from the hi pitched whistling sound! Your home has a 200amp 230 service but your "shack" has a 200amp 3 phase 480 service: and you are thinking it might need a second line!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Items for Sale

The 10k antenna are wide banded. I think if you tune for CB band, your kinda set in the middle of the whole 10/11. You might see slight or average incraese as you go up the band and some decrease going down. or if you plan on running straight 10m, just tune the antenna for what ever band your on.

Don't know why, but the power/wattage does change as you up and down the Bands A, B, C, D, E, F etc.
    ITʻs A 10K WORLD!!

Radio
    Old Tram tube and new RCI mosfet radios
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure why but my Antron99 tuned perfectly on 10 meters and the IMAX perfectly on 11 meters no mater where I set the tuning rings. Maybe something to do with the different lengths. Both work well on either 10 or 11 meter bands though. I've read some operators use the IMAX for 17, 15, 12, 11 and 10 meters. That's a pretty wide banded antenna.

Radio
    Galaxy dx-2517, magnum s380
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Put the new Imax up and it's working fine. Receive is quieter. Pouring rain storm yesterday and very little rain static. The rain static on the old Imax was unbearable. I cut open the bottom two antenna sections to inspect the wire connections. The wire in the lower section just fell out of the top fitting when I cut open the section. There is a hole in there that the wire was in with what looks like a solder connection on the outside. It must have broke loose or was never soldered to begin with. The inside of these threaded connectors were filled with epoxy on my original Imax. I wonder if they stopped using it or they forgot to use it on this one. I would think that it would be needed to keep the strain off those solder connections.

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Predator 10K runs 1.3.1 on 11m, and 2.0.1 on 10 meters. Good enough. I don't use 10m very much yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My Predator 10K runs 1.3.1 on 11m, and 2.0.1 on 10 meters. Good enough. I don't use 10m very much yet.
    what radio do you have for 10 meters
    Broadcasting 3380 feet above sealevel

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^ Stryker SR 955 HP.

duck429 is offline Mauldropper DX Numbers: 429 Home Channel: 26.965/26.125
    Radio
    Whatever I feel like takin out the closet. Mainly connex, galaxy, or cobra
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

right now i run a 98vhp in the truck....my 10k on the 27" bottom tuned flat on the lowers....i can go from 27.385 to 25.165 before i get above 1.7 swr....i could shorten it to hit some 10m but i hardly go above 27.385 lsb....so no need to tune for any higher

the power does change from band to band like 15 suggested....i cruise about 175w on the cb 40 but if i drop down to say 26.125 i'm only at 150-160w....but the lack of mexican/skip/hetrodine/ground wave noise on the lowers makes up for loss of power/distance.....i can put my 102 on and use the uppers (e-g band) and actually see the 200w the radio is rated for but i don't really make as many contacts at the distances i have on the lowers

thats just how my setup works.....everyone will have different results with different radios/ant. etc.

ducksoupe is offline Apprentice Mauldropper DX Numbers: 2076 Home Channel: 40 LSB
    Radio
    president hr 251
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have 2 separate dipoles. one for 10 meters the other for 11 meters. Takes no time to change them. If you go the antenna tuner way try for a happy medium.
    Eddie