Radio
    This is REQUIREDgalaxy saturn with hi fi setup and condensor mic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default imax 2000 gpk question

Here is the question. I want to put a gpk on my imax and be proactive about tvi, as the info I have researched says that the gpk will assist in this. My question is, are the radials designed to simulate 4 1/4 wave sections? And if this is so, can I use 4 stubby 1/4 fiberglass antennas say 2 or 3 footers which makes the antenna less visible, easier to assemble and less in peril from wind. Anybody with info on this will be greatly helpful

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

if its a fiberglass antenna and it radiates in vertical polarization its going to have some tvi issues
    and you have that galaxy radio so thats not going to help things
    Broadcasting 3380 feet above sealevel

mackmobile43 is online now Pro Mauldropper DX Numbers: 43 Home Channel: supabowl
    Radio
    two black's 68
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

do like you suggested and add the ugly balun and there shouldn't be any issues under 500 watt pep

UGLY BALUN

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is really odd that people say that. My a-99 is almost 20 years old, the fiberglass is sharp and it has run on 4 different houses, having sat outside in pieces for 3 years before the last install. I had it on a 12ft. 4by 4 with a 10 foot mast. I ran tha galaxy into a texas star mod v to prime a palomar 300a. It keyed about 300 and swung bout 750. Asked my neighbors if they ever heard of 047. They asked whats that and what is that thing in your back yard. I was hoping for extended usable swr which is why I considered it, but suffice it to say that all fiberglass does not bleed!

Radio
    Icom IC-707, Siltronix 1011D, Cobra 2000
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've yet to encounter more than a couple people who thought the GPK was worth a hoot. Save your money better off with a ugly balun.

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives. - Ronald Reagan

Radio
    Full Jew
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The GPK will only increase the static you hear and will do nothing to reduce TVI. Using an RF choke and running a clean radio are the keys to success.
    RDX

Radio
    Castoff junk from mic to antenna.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Radio is doomed.

8. Thanks 555 -N- Da Horn, mustang 131, 4-400 thanked for this post
    Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tell me about this ugly balun. plz include a pic if u can

dave457 is online now Commodore Decker DX Numbers: 305 Home Channel: FREEBAND
    Radio
    Nothing
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just google ugly balun

11. Thanks nino thanked for this post
    mackmobile43 is online now Pro Mauldropper DX Numbers: 43 Home Channel: supabowl
    Radio
    two black's 68
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

all he has to do is click on the link I posted in my last post

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I have learned is that antenna application and operation varies from one person and situation to the next. What I am trying to find out is if I use quarter wave fiberglass antennas for the gp or must they be a physical length. The gpk may or may not work for me, but I am interested in the small visual footprint of the stubby fiberglass antennas.

straight razor is offline Apprentice Mauldropper DX Numbers: 357 Home Channel: 27.025
    Radio
    golden eagle MK2 and MKIII, texas ranger 696F
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nino i run a imax 2000 and i have a real ground plane kit and i do not cause tvi what so ever, the question does the grpk work that they sell in stores nope except for one, and if u use the grpk that maco sells you have to mod the antenna, that mast mount that on the bottom of the imax has to be cutt off and if u dont have skillz dont do it, i have the skillz and i cutoff that 2' wide and i forgot how long it is, then u have to grind down the part you cut off so its smooth and round, then the maco gprk can be installed, the radials are 7 ft long i order the 1/2 aluminum tube 72" long and it madet he radials 9ft which is the length of counter poise ground for a 5/8 wave antenna, i will post a pic of my ground plane later nino..
    the hammer hits hard!!

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the response. What I am trying to find out is does the gpk require physical length or can it be simulated by 4 quarter wave short antennas. It is not a problem for me to create a ring much the same that is used in the mobile gp setup that wilson sells. If this actually will satisfy the requirement of counterpoise, I can use 4 2ft or even 4 foot 1/4 wave fiberglass whips and accomplish my objective. if possible, I would prefer to draw as little attention to the antenna as possible, and several written documents by hams as well as engineers suggest that thegpk will help with tvi if in fact there is any at all. As you have stated, my 99 does not bother anyone. I would put it back up, but i like the thought of the lower angle and skip characteristics of the 5/8 wave. I am working on a pve solution to fortift the center section which has the propensity to break. My idea is to take a piece of schedule 80 close to the size of the bottom section and support the middle section. But first, the gp. If you have any more info on the counterpoise, i would be interested to hear.

thanx

Sprinter is offline Motor City Plumber DX Numbers: 929 Home Channel: DX 28~local 1
    Radio
    Cobra 29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scrap the imaxx and get a real antenna, the GPK is barely noticeable unless you have a bad setup. It still doesn't alleviate the coax from radiating unless you decouple it. Then it probably won't tune well....
    Crusin' an unmolested Cobra 29 exciting the Dave Made 2-2290's X12, Powered by Leece and monitored by a LP-100A. Arcing via Predator Bad to the Bone 17". 700-1200pep of truth

Radio
    Galaxy 949
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nino, I was just reading your post and all the reply's on this subject. If you don't mind i would like to say a few things that might help you out. I will try to make this as short as possible and to the point.

The Imax antenna you have is a better performer than the amtron 99 but i have to agree with Sprinter. The sooner you understand that any antenna you use that has a coil or coil rapings will not work as well as a piece of metal that is the full wave you want to use. (Here is a example)

A 102 1/4 wave car antenna will out perform any fiberglass one on the market. Your Amtron 99 and the Imax 2000 are copper wires inside a fiberglass tube that cause TVI.

As far as you using Fiberglass for ground radials on your I- max, (would not be a good ideal.) First of all if your antenna is lower than 36 feet the ground radials will do you little good because of ground loss. If your I- max is above 36 feet you would be better off using (4) 102 stainless steel whips as ground radials. Hope this helps you out!!!

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default thanks

[Thanks so much for your insightful response. Other than the response on the ugly balun concept and the gentleman who modified his maco gpk, most of the replies were of an opinionated nature. I was hoping for a more technically slanted opinion such as yours. I am aware of the 36 foot sweet spot, and used it with my last install. I was hoping to be able to use fiberglass 2 footers for the gp radials as they simulated the 50 ohm impedance. If it wont I will probably go with the sirio 2016 which has radials that are the smallest i have found, only twice as many.

.[/QUOTE]

Phillysports is offline Skilled Mauldropper DX Numbers: 26 Home Channel: 19 A
    Radio
    Amish Made
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nino....You clam to be this "Huge Hambone" and your asking questions about a ugly balun and GP kits to cut down tvi??? Come on dude....not trying to be a dick but as a hambone you should know this and should have study some of this....

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

its ok philly i am sure you would be a big dick if you were being a dick
    This post was not endorsed by Mauldroppers.com or the N.S.A
    Quote Originally Posted by -=PEAKABOO=- View Post
    I detect shenanigans somewhere in this thread and my eyes hurt.

21. Thanks Phillysports thanked for this post
    Radio
    Galaxy 949
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nino, I believe they sell a ground radial kit for your I-max 2000. Don't wast your time and money on something that wont work. The two foot fiberglass antennas your talking about are not long enough. Your antenna is advertised as a 5/8 wave antenna but the length of the transmitting element is 24 feet long. The fact that it's 24 feet long makes me wonder if it's really a 5/8 wave or is it a 64 wave.

If you have your heart set on making ground radials for your antenna i think it will help but you need to do it right. The cheapest and best way to do this is to order 4# 1/2 x 6 foot and 4# 3/8 x 6 foot Telescopic aluminum tubing. This will give you enough aluminum to make 4 ground radials 9 feet long. This should give you a good ground radial set up. The next thing you do is go to home depot and buy something that will fasten it to the antenna like pvc. Get creative and make sure your ground radials are isolated be low the transmitting element. (Aluminum tubes are cheep)

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never said I was a ham but i am studying for it as u can never have too much knowledge. I am a cb nut of over 40 years and have studied electronics technology at CEI. I have knowledge, but am not so conceited to believe I know it all, and am not too proud to ask if someone knows something that I dont. i have never used the imax, or had an opportunity to explore the gpk use. I always thought these forums were so we could share the knowledge that we have gained through years of trial and error, as i did when i found the key to getting a decent match on a vehicle with limited magnetic surface area. If you have any knowledge about the topic, i would be just as excited to hear what you have learned, if you have experienced working with this antenna.

Learning is a never ending experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast