Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 100 USD, Received: 20 USD (20%)
Donate to support this site...

User Tag List

pole_pig is offline Laser Safety Officer DX Numbers: 1138 Home Channel: 19
    Radio
    Sunair GSB-900DX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Chameleon Hybrid micro VS. alpha EZ Military antennas tear-down

tear down video:

Both claim to be mobile/base rugged antennas. Both also use a 5:1 transformer in the base and feed a whip. These have to be used with a 'tuner' and are supposed to cover HF. Both are offered with 'a la carte' pricing for the accessories. What you generally get is the antenna base (an enclosed 5:1 balun) and a length of wire for base station use.

To use mobile, a whip is also required.

I'd stay away from both of these things.

Hammys and preppers seem to be impressed by so-called "military' crap but the things are overpriced for what is had.

nothing new but interesting to see what's inside. Where the cheapness is.
    Electronic Innovations In Action - Setting Energy Traps in the Forbidden Band

2. Thanks HiDef thanked for this post
    nexus73 is offline Skilled Mauldropper DX Numbers: 101 Home Channel: 3.1416
    Radio
    Top Secret numbers station stuff
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an Alpha EZ Military. It performs quite well on the radio side. When facing high winds, it stays in place although I use three 5 pound ankle weights on the tripod to make sure it does. The complaint that I read about them was how the elastic stuff used in the vertical element can wear out. For my emcomm situation it was the ideal solution. YMMV.

Rick
    We're not the end of the world but you can see it from here...LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by HiDef View Post
    I don't make a habit out of loaning stuff unless I know it will result in a worthwhile explosion.
    If you take a radio apart and put it back together enough times, you'll end up with enough spare parts to make another one.

kb1piz.wordpress.com/about/ shows what happens to rippers on MD

Radio
    Castoff junk fro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I spoke with an old timer last week. He was using an end fed antenna 120' long.

The guy had towers and real stuff but he was trying this new whizbang crap out.

I have to say he was doing OK for a half hour.

The losses from using something that does not exist in nature were partially offset by the major lobe of the long wire and the fact that he was a combat veteran.

If anyone hears about me using an end fed antenna please kill me.

5. Thanks -=PEAKABOO=- thanked for this post
    4-400 is offline superlaxative shitmixer DX Numbers: KZ01 Home Channel: 144.200 usb
    Radio
    ham on bone
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

duly noted

i am in shock over the build quality of the comedy antenna..i think i was wrong in my previous judgement of them when a local seller was spamming the hell out of the trading sites here with them..however fancy machining will not make my mind up as to laws of physics ..i am with hidef on this one

as for the alpha..well the video and the video i am about to show says what you need to know before considering spending money on one ..no disrespect nexus but i am judgemental when anyone spends money on hocus pocus

i however like the method of construction of the chamelen ..now if they made the shell bigger and put a dc ground tapped coil in it i would like one for 40m with a 108" for the shaggin wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by -=PEAKABOO=- View Post
    I detect shenanigans somewhere in this thread and my eyes hurt.

nexus73 is offline Skilled Mauldropper DX Numbers: 101 Home Channel: 3.1416
    Radio
    Top Secret numbers station stuff
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For so-called hocus-pocus, the Alpha works just fine. Used it on a Field Day and it did well on 20m, 40m and 80m with 50W PEP. Where the antenna will be deployed in a genuine emergency is on a small hill that is just high enough to survive the Cascadia Subduction Zone tsunami. There are no trees and limited space but plenty of wind here! One buys the tool for the job at hand and this one will do the job.

Rick
    We're not the end of the world but you can see it from here...LOL!

I don't make a habit out of loaning stuff unless I know it will result in a worthwhile explosion.
    If you take a radio apart and put it back together enough times, you'll end up with enough spare parts to make another one.

kb1piz.wordpress.com/about/ shows what happens to rippers on MD

Radio
    Old Junk that smells of dust
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Lmao!! Very true. It is very common for someone who has enough room to support a 120' long antenna put up end fed crap, off center fed crap or g5rv mini.
    Matching networks make my dick hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by pole_pig View Post
    I'm careful to avoid draining bottles that drain my wits when I'm working on stuff

Trying not to choke on that 10 ohm smoke.

Radio
    Old Junk that smells of dust
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nexus73 View Post
    For so-called hocus-pocus, the Alpha works just fine. Used it on a Field Day and it did well on 20m, 40m and 80m with 50W PEP. Where the antenna will be deployed in a genuine emergency is on a small hill that is just high enough to survive the Cascadia Subduction Zone tsunami. There are no trees and limited space but plenty of wind here! One buys the tool for the job at hand and this one will do the job.

Rick
    As long as people using these types of antennas understand there is an extreme compromise with them then all is good but they argue that they work as good as a 120' dipole that is when it gets nerve racking because people that do not know any better are getting in line to buy them.
    Matching networks make my dick hard.
    I'm careful to avoid draining bottles that drain my wits when I'm working on stuff

Trying not to choke on that 10 ohm smoke.

10. Thanks 543 thanked for this post
    4-400 is offline superlaxative shitmixer DX Numbers: KZ01 Home Channel: 144.200 usb
    Radio
    ham on bone
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Lmao!! Very true. It is very common for someone who has enough room to support a 120' long antenna put up end fed crap, off center fed crap or g5rv mini.
    such a shame ..the conversion process is hampered by pages of stupid on the internet of some dude that spoke to some dude once that had one and thought from that moment on the job was done and they would be dxcc heros very soon
    its a fact most that have g5rv antennas resort to ft8 for all future comms out side of thee first hop zone

i have plenty of video gates of a group of hams in a net that struggle to talk across a city thats only 15kms across with g5rvs and end feed wires yet that video hears all those stations and half of asia and aussie which they cant hear off a ladder line dual band dipole at 40ft..as you cbers say proof is in the gate

12. Thanks HiDef thanked for this post
    543 is offline YOWZER DX Numbers: 543 Home Channel: 28
    Radio
    Cobra 29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Give it the Amplitude Modulation test. If it doesn't burst into flames and no one says you're piss weak it might be ok.

14. Thanks -=PEAKABOO=-, HiDef thanked for this post
    pole_pig is offline Laser Safety Officer DX Numbers: 1138 Home Channel: 19
    Radio
    Sunair GSB-900DX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 4-400 View Post
    such a shame ..the conversion process is hampered by pages of stupid on the internet of some dude that spoke to some dude once that had one and thought from that moment on the job was done and they would be dxcc heros very soon
    its a fact most that have g5rv antennas resort to ft8 for all future comms out side of thee first hop zone

i have plenty of video gates of a group of hams in a net that struggle to talk across a city thats only 15kms across with g5rvs and end feed wires yet that video hears all those stations and half of asia and aussie which they cant hear off a ladder line dual band dipole at 40ft..as you cbers say proof is in the gate
    I'm confused what's being said here. Do you mean:

1.) In the video the hams have trouble being heard 15Km away with end-fed and g5RV.

2.) In the same video they are receiving half of asia and aussie with end-fed and g5RV.

3.) In the same video they cant receive half of asia and aussie with a ladder line dual band dipole at 40ft.

If so, it is an argument for separate TX and RX antennas?
    Electronic Innovations In Action - Setting Energy Traps in the Forbidden Band

Radio
    ham on bone
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm confused what's being said here. Do you mean:

1.) In the video the hams have trouble being heard 15Km away with end-fed and g5RV.

2.) In the same video they are receiving half of asia and aussie with end-fed and g5RV.

3.) In the same video they cant receive half of asia and aussie with a ladder line dual band dipole at 40ft.

If so, it is an argument for separate TX and RX antennas?
    in response to peaks comment...OYG stop reading my posts!