User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microphones?

Mr. 557 Guest

Exclamation Microphones?

There are numerous types and styles of mics out there for CB audio setups. Could someone explain to me what the differences are such as "Ribbon" mics and what frequency ranges and other points newbies like me should be looking for?

blackbear is offline Apprentice Mauldropper DX Numbers: 528 Home Channel: 22
    Radio
    HR2510
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A ribbon microphone is a type of dynamic microphone that uses a thin aluminum, duraluminum or nanofilm ribbon placed between the poles of a magnet to generate voltages by electromagnetic induction. Ribbon microphones are typically bidirectional, meaning they pick up sounds equally well from either side of the microphone. They are used a lot in rock band type settings because of their durability. The ribbon mics are good for those nasally sounding type radios/audio/peoples voices. They help clear up the sound and produce dynamic sound. Thats about as much as I know.

SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ribbon_microphone
    Last edited by 10 Gauge; 11-22-2009 at 11:47 AM. Reason: You mean that's about as much as Wikipedia knows... ;)
    73's
    Black Bear

3. Thanks N/A, 10 Gauge, HiDef thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. 557 View Post
    There are numerous types and styles of mics out there for CB audio setups. Could someone explain to me what the differences are such as "Ribbon" mics and what frequency ranges and other points newbies like me should be looking for?
    Ribbon Mics are a throw back to when designers were trying for a "one mic does it all" thing. These mics were way expensive made by Electro-Voice and others they were used from anything like TV Studios to Choirs but getting a quality signal to amplify is going to mean big bucks. Sensitive mics but impractical for CB.

Ambient sound is not what is required.

5. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Mr. 557 Guest

I know that Nady makes a relatively inexpensive ribbon mic. I know of one person who uses one from another forum, But in relation to other mics, what are the differences in the different mics as far as sound goes? Or should I be thinking of sensitivity instead?

blackbear is offline Apprentice Mauldropper DX Numbers: 528 Home Channel: 22
    Radio
    HR2510
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Technology has brought down the cost of these mics significantly. As far as sound goes, they do a number on raspy voices. They are loved and chosen by many studios and numerous radio stations because of their longevity and durability. The quality of sound is good. Shure makes some awesome mics that 30Hz - 15Khz frequency response. Cheapest one though is around $1200. Nady does make some beginner style studio mics that are around 200 or so. They have superb sound as well. Very realistic sound when used and set properly.
    73's
    Black Bear

8. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    295 is offline Skilled Mauldropper DX Numbers: 295 Home Channel: 19, 16, 38 LSB
    Radio
    295 Tuned Cobra 2000GTL, Uniden Grant XL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My experience with microphones and radio is this, I have several mcs in my collection and I know a few who use non OEM microphones on their ESSB ham setups. Bottomline, it is really hard to find a bad microphone today, nearly every microphone you purchase from a major manufacture, be it Electro Voice, Shure, Nady, Beringer, Neumann, and many others, will all sound good. Back in the old days when the film and sound industry was getting away from the spring supported carbon microphones, the Ribbon microphone offered great advancement in sound quality and fidelity. In the 1940's RCA started making one of the best ribbons made, the DX77, that microphone still sells for a high price, a DX77 in mint condition can easily fetch two to three thousand dollars.

I currently have three microphones in my station that are not OEM, an Electro Voice RE-27 ($400.00), this is the same microphone used by Rush Limbaugh and a bunch of other radio talk show hosts. I have a Shure SH-55 ($145.00), which is an updated version of the old 55 (Elvis Microphone), and a Radio Shack Grey Line microphone ($5.00 on close out). They all sound good, I have a friend in NJ who has a bunch of high dollar microphones, out of all of his mics, he runs the $5.00 grey line too. You have to remember that the audio bandwidth of your radio is limited by the filter, all those lows and highs which is what sets those more expensive microphones apart, will not be realized in the average CB receiver.

My suggestion is to find a good dynamic microphone for your station. The ones at radio shack seem to work fine, I've heard that Best Buy has a few mics too, the Beringer B 1 has been mentioned to work well also. The most common voice microphone out there is the Shure SM58, it is durable and works great, runs about a $100.00.

The reason I have posted the prices is to make a point that for even for 5.00 you can find a nice microphone, a higher price does not necessarily mean a significantly better microphone in this application.

2 Nine 5

Factoid, it was 97.689 miles from my mobile station to 631 in Hereford, MD, so you can talk farther than 71 miles on ground wave.:yesnod: You should take Lou Franklin's book and use it for a door stop...Breaka Breaka Breaka.

10. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Mr. 557 Guest

You have to remember that the audio bandwidth of your radio is limited by the filter, all those lows and highs which is what sets those more expensive microphones apart, will not be realized in the average CB receiver.
    THAT, is a major statement! Excellent post 295, THANKS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know that Nady makes a relatively inexpensive ribbon mic. I know of one person who uses one from another forum, But in relation to other mics, what are the differences in the different mics as far as sound goes? Or should I be thinking of sensitivity instead?
    The Cardioid mic has a proximity effect that adds lower frequencies to the signal as you get closer to the element. This may/may not be a bad thing when it comes to live sound or even broadcasting. Samson mics actually have some pretty surprising quality for the price. Most of them are uni-directional cardioid (pickup pattern is shaped like a heart). Super cardioid is along the same line but has a narrower pickup window in front to curtail feedback but has and pickup spike right behind the mic.

The condenser mic makes a great studio mic, but requires phantom power (you have to charge a condenser ((capacitor)) to make it work) so that is impractical. Omni-directional mics do not mess with the frequency balance but pick up a gnat fart, so again they are impractical.

The frequency range required is a very narrow band when it comes to AM transmissions. What is needed is a mic that is tailored to the best audible voice range that puts out a strong, natural signal at that range. And at the same time rejects ambient noise that does not need to be part of the transmission...kinda like a noise gate that is used in recording studios. So while Hi Fi may require a mic that reproduced any where from 20 to 20k hertz CB's don't and even if you did have that good of a mic attached to the front end of your set up, it would take FM to make it work anyway. So a good radio mic is going to be a little mid range strong with a peak in the upper edge.

My wife hates it when we are watching music videos because I start naming off the make and models of mics, brands and year models of guitars......it is sickening at best! The is a truck stop (drivers) in Fort Worth that has an old Shure 454-S mic hanging from a wall as if that mic is being used for something. I have offered to swap a newer Shure SM-57 for it but they wont do it. It seems there is an employee there who once worked in a radio studio and knows what this old mic is worth.

I hate being beat to the punch!

13. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Mr. 557 Guest

I mentioned this in another thread, but I'll restate that I am ordering a CAV GXL2200 mic and thinking about trying the Nady RMS-4 ribbon mic too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mentioned this in another thread, but I'll restate that I am ordering a CAV GXL2200 mic and thinking about trying the Nady RMS-4 ribbon mic too!
    Those ribbon mics can be so useful. On thing that I have found them more than useful for is if you are recording and needing the resonance of the room to be included. Some have the idea that recording a dry sound is the only way to go. You can mix your effects in the final mix down using a digital effects unit.

There are some things that just cannot replace a good sounding room! A good mic is a must in these situations. A large diaphragm condenser or a ribbon can put so much life into a track.

Understand that this is coming from a guy who gave up on analog and sold his Roland Space Echo in 2000. I might be a little behind the times!

Mr. 557 Guest

The main object in my case is to expand the low and mid-range. I can almost do this now without any audio rack system up, just with the radio and Turner microphone gives me the sound without the level though. Like a transmitter at 200%, not distorted, but the depth expanded. Kind of hard to explain, but I think the rack system will give me much more opportunity with sound and recording for sure!

Mr. 557 Guest

Now, that leaves me with a couple of questions here: Different topic, so I'll start a new thread!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Nady RMS-4 ribbon. I think I paid 70 bucks for it. I ran it with my processing gear for a while and it sounds really good. Problem is I like to talk close to my mics as I like the way my voice sounds at close proximity. The Nady doesn't like it that way. At about 1 1/2 feet is sounds good. Needs to be amped as they are pretty quiet. Careful....phantom power will kill it.

Mike

Radio
    Old Junk that smells of dust
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I agree 100%
    I have a few different mics I use, one is an digital reference DR-VX1 and the other is a sterling audio ST-51.
    If you monitor the sound right out of my mixing board the ST-51 is by far a way better sounding microphone, on the air it also sounds a little "crisper" but not enough for most people to notice, I even use a no name cheap mic and it sounds great on the air.

Quote Originally Posted by 295 View Post
    My experience with microphones and radio is this, I have several mcs in my collection and I know a few who use non OEM microphones on their ESSB ham setups. Bottomline, it is really hard to find a bad microphone today, nearly every microphone you purchase from a major manufacture, be it Electro Voice, Shure, Nady, Beringer, Neumann, and many others, will all sound good. Back in the old days when the film and sound industry was getting away from the spring supported carbon microphones, the Ribbon microphone offered great advancement in sound quality and fidelity. In the 1940's RCA started making one of the best ribbons made, the DX77, that microphone still sells for a high price, a DX77 in mint condition can easily fetch two to three thousand dollars.

I currently have three microphones in my station that are not OEM, an Electro Voice RE-27 ($400.00), this is the same microphone used by Rush Limbaugh and a bunch of other radio talk show hosts. I have a Shure SH-55 ($145.00), which is an updated version of the old 55 (Elvis Microphone), and a Radio Shack Grey Line microphone ($5.00 on close out). They all sound good, I have a friend in NJ who has a bunch of high dollar microphones, out of all of his mics, he runs the $5.00 grey line too. You have to remember that the audio bandwidth of your radio is limited by the filter, all those lows and highs which is what sets those more expensive microphones apart, will not be realized in the average CB receiver.

My suggestion is to find a good dynamic microphone for your station. The ones at radio shack seem to work fine, I've heard that Best Buy has a few mics too, the Beringer B 1 has been mentioned to work well also. The most common voice microphone out there is the Shure SM58, it is durable and works great, runs about a $100.00.

The reason I have posted the prices is to make a point that for even for 5.00 you can find a nice microphone, a higher price does not necessarily mean a significantly better microphone in this application.
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Gauge View Post
    I'm sorry bro. I found out the hard way that dude likes to suck dicks and get his buttfuck on when he tried to seduce me in his radio shack... He put on some high heels, lipstick and let down that long nappy hair of his and told me to get brown. I was like nahhhh bro, you're not my type, sorry dawg, gotta get going.

Trying not to choke on that 10 ohm smoke.

Radio
    love helping people get better sounding quality audio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one more thing to consider,

if your using any type of audio processing, the kind or style of mic really does not matter because if it sounds bad, it can be fixed with the audio processing.

However if your using a XLR mic without audio processing, then your mic choice is very important, because everyone's voice is different, head down to the guitar store and tell them you want to purchase a mic and ask to hear the difference between the mics you can afford. If its a good store, they will be happy to plug in several mics for you and set you up on some head phones and let you " play "

Pick the one that makes you sound the best and buy it.

The proper position for the mic is about 1/2 inch from your mouth and speak very softly with your head tilted slightly upwards.

As far as recommending one, it really comes down to your voice and what you want to sound like.

FYI, 48V phantom power mics are VERY RF sensitive, meaning that if you run power you will have alot of additional work to do to your station to keep the RF out of the mic. And by the way 48V phantom power mics are designed to be used in absolutely acoustically dead quite rooms ( you shack is not ).
    ARIVERISITY OF UNIZONA

21. Thanks -=PEAKABOO=- thanked for this post
    4-400 is offline Sheep Shagger say what? DX Numbers: KZ01 Home Channel: 10.000 Mhz
    Radio
    over 400 of them
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

rick you do know this thread is nearly 3 years old
    This post was not endorsed by Mauldroppers.com or the N.S.A
    Quote Originally Posted by -=PEAKABOO=- View Post
    I detect shenanigans somewhere in this thread and my eyes hurt.

Radio
    love helping people get better sounding quality audio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

o I see that now, thanks, I know where to look now, sorry
    just trying to help
    ARIVERISITY OF UNIZONA

Radio
    Castoff junk from mic to antenna.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheap mics CAN sound excellent with processing fixes. That is true.

Better mics usually have more resistance to proximity effect (increased low end response when close talking) flatter frequency response and a cardioid pattern. The cardioid pattern simply means the mic picks up more energy from where it is pointed instead of off to the sides.

25. Thanks 631 thanked for this post
    631 is offline RDX DX Numbers: BTK Home Channel: 0̽͊
    Radio
    A Yiddish Cobra 25
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I like my voice to sound like my voice

Radio
    Bots Tuned PC76, 55-r4, Gold
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like my voice to sound like 631's but people keep thinking I sound like Mugsy. Lol
    If it's not a Bot's built then it's junk and you should kill yourself.
    That is all......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast