User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Captain Morgan is offline Watching & Learning DX Numbers: 400 Home Channel: 19, and skip
    Radio
    A radio, a box, and an antenna. fuck it, just puck it
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Firebird Tube Amp

I have a 2 tube. really old. Wondering if anyone has any pics of the insides or know where i can find them. Especially around the transformer. 1 of the wires came off and I have no clue where it came from.

Radio
    Bots Tuned PC76, 55-r4, Gold
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I have a 2 tube. really old. Wondering if anyone has any pics of the insides or know where i can find them. Especially around the transformer. 1 of the wires came off and I have no clue where it came from.
    I have a few books that I can look it up and see what I can find.
    I'll let you know
    If it's not a Bot's built then it's junk and you should kill yourself.
    That is all......

3. Thanks Captain Morgan thanked for this post
    The Shadow is offline Mauldropper DX Numbers: N/A Home Channel: 2mhz to 5ghz
    Radio
    Too much to list
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electrical data on a 500:

I have an old Fireball (what most fire-birds turned into), I don't remember the model number off hand, its out in the storage shed, I do remember it being a two tuber. Saved it for parts, got it as a package deal, guy said it worked but after seeing it and how it had been chopped and hacked up I doubted it and never even tried it out, just added it to the pile of parts. If you can show me which wire your talking about I'll dig it out and pull the cover off it and snap a few photos. I think they used the same transformers and HV boards in most of their amps, usually the board where the two tube sockets are mounted on the traces get blown to smithereens as soon as a tube shorts out internally.
    Last edited by The Shadow; 12-03-2009 at 08:16 AM.

5. Thanks Captain Morgan thanked for this post
    Radio
    Too much to list
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Palomar skipper (skipper 500 for example) the wiring may be similar, I believe they are almost the exact same amp with just a different name/layout on the front.

mauldropper is offline Apprentice Mauldropper Home Channel: Bowl!!
    Radio
    Step on up and find out!!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default firebird

I have an old beater swinger 205 2 tube 6lq6 box i kept around for parts, one transformer dawg, show a pic of what your talking about maybe it can be of help. Hell later on after I do my running ill take a few pics and post up in here, maybe it will help ya out....

dropper
    Last edited by mauldropper; 12-03-2009 at 10:08 AM. Reason: addded info

8. Thanks Captain Morgan thanked for this post
    Captain Morgan is offline Watching & Learning DX Numbers: 400 Home Channel: 19, and skip
    Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks everyone. pics are easier for me since i dont know how to read schematics. There are six wires coming of the transformer. 2 red, 2 green and 2 gray. 1 of the gray wires runs to something on the back panel of the radio in the same area of the power wires coming in. The other grey wire is the one in question.
    sorry the pic is so bad. The wife has the camera with her and I had to use my cell.

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks everyone. pics are easier for me since i dont know how to read schematics. There are six wires coming of the transformer. 2 red, 2 green and 2 gray. 1 of the gray wires runs to something on the back panel of the radio in the same area of the power wires coming in. The other grey wire is the one in question.
    sorry the pic is so bad. The wife has the camera with her and I had to use my cell.
    There ya go, you know what to ask for for Christmas lol

dropper

Radio
    Too much to list
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, amp I have is a Fire-Bird F-100-4-BIL.

Black wire and white wire from transformer are for input voltage - 120v/240 volt depending on jumpers

HV lead: Red goes to the HV PCB - side of PCB towards the back of the amp

HV lead: Red and white wire goes to the HV PCB - side of board facing the front of the amp

Heater voltage supply lead: Green wire goes to “E” on main PCB, back by the keying circuit and relays

Heater voltage supply lead: Green and white wire goes to “F” on main PCB, up near the two 6LQ6 tubes.

Sorry I don’t have a camera to take photos, but it seems the one you have has different boards in it. Main PCB part number in mine is “EEC 906036” may be different board all together, not sure.

Can't make out the loose lead in your photo but if you can eliminate the ones which are connected (using my notes above perhaps) the one that's loose should be easy to identify as to its function and possible proper location.

Looking at your photo (you will have to verify this now) looks like the two red leads go to the HV board, the two green leads go to the main PCB and tube board, that means the gray leads are in voltage input on the transformer - photo is really hard to see.

You say a gray lead is loose - if its the power input lead, one lead should go to #1 on that jumper board mounted on the back of the amp, the other gray lead goes to #4. For 120 volt operation (input voltage) there should be a short jumper from #1 to #2, and another one from #3 to #4. For 220 volt operation (input voltage) there should be only 1 jumper its between #2 and #3 on that board.

If this is the case let me know, I'll borrow a camera tomorrow and snap a photo for ya of that board.
    Last edited by The Shadow; 12-03-2009 at 07:34 PM.

Iceman is offline Thought Police DX Numbers: ---- Home Channel: 19
    Radio
    Some Stuff
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

call jimbo

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wirelessly posted (Captain Morgan NJ 400 mobeal: Treo800w/v0100 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE, PPC; 320x320) (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

I'm at work now but that sounds like it might be it. a pic would be great if you could get it though....don't want to hook up wrong and poof!

wiretwister is offline Pro Mauldropper DX Numbers: 383 Home Channel: Several
    Radio
    257, Icom, Tricked out 29 , Heathkit, XForce just to name a few..
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

POOF !!! Been there/Done that !!
    Been hit with the old high voltage a few times too......now thats priceless !!

Wire

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wirelessly posted (Captain Morgan NJ 400 mobeal: Treo800w/v0100 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE, PPC; 320x320) (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

Quote Originally Posted by wiretwister
    POOF !!! Been there/Done that !!
    Been hit with the old high voltage a few times too......now thats priceless !!

Wire
    :lol: I got the high voltage zap once.....once is definitely enough

wiretwister is offline Pro Mauldropper DX Numbers: 383 Home Channel: Several
    Radio
    257, Icom, Tricked out 29 , Heathkit, XForce just to name a few..
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My son was watching when I got blazed one time.......He thought that was some funny shit......Priceless !!

**maybe thats whats wrong with me **

Hey but when the cops pull out the stunners........you know what to expect......bring it on !!:lol:

Wire

Iceman is offline Thought Police DX Numbers: ---- Home Channel: 19
    Radio
    Some Stuff
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you blow up something save the shrapnal. we can add it to qballs collection of exploded mosfets!!!!

Radio
    Too much to list
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I see this unit is wired half assed – it does power up. I’ll try to explain the wiring based on the photo

Positive 120 volts from the line cord if fed to location #5 (white wire seen in the photo)

There is a wire running from #5 over to the fuse holder, marked “A” in the photo

A wire runs from the fuse holder up to the on/off switch and then a lead from the switch runs back and connects to location #4 shown in the photo.

There is a short jumper from #4 to #3, this provides + 120 to the transformer input lead when the switch is in the on position (Black color in this photo).

The neutral from the line cord (-120 volts) attaches to #6, a short jumper goes from #6 to #1

There is a jumper from #1 to #2 which provides the neutral (-120 volts) to the transformer input lead (off white color in this photo)

Based on the wiring it looks like someone replaced the transformer at some point in time in this unit and did a crappy job at wiring it in. The .1uf caps are not even being used properly in this example, I’ll have to clean it up and rewire it properly. But in any case this should be enough information for you to repair yours.

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default info

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post

Although I see this unit is wired half assed it does power up. Ill try to explain the wiring based on the photo

Positive 120 volts from the line cord if fed to location #5 (white wire seen in the photo)

There is a wire running from #5 over to the fuse holder, marked A in the photo

A wire runs from the fuse holder up to the on/off switch and then a lead from the switch runs back and connects to location #4 shown in the photo.

There is a short jumper from #4 to #3, this provides + 120 to the transformer input lead when the switch is in the on position (Black color in this photo).

The neutral from the line cord (-120 volts) attaches to #6, a short jumper goes from #6 to #1

There is a jumper from #1 to #2 which provides the neutral (-120 volts) to the transformer input lead (off white color in this photo)

Based on the wiring it looks like someone replaced the transformer at some point in time in this unit and did a crappy job at wiring it in. The .1uf caps are not even being used properly in this example, Ill have to clean it up and rewire it properly. But in any case this should be enough information for you to repair yours.
    Shadow,
    What program do you use to draw those arrows and type in small narritives like that??

Dropper

MoJo is offline MoJo's Radio Shop DX Numbers: 519 Home Channel: 1 6 12 19 28
    Radio
    PC76XLW, NJ Dave Made 1x4, LMR400, Pred 10K 12" Comp
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Radio
    Too much to list
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually I paste the base photo into word, using the "text box" I drop in a box and add the information. Drop in a few arrows from the "DRAW" menu to point out specific points. Then once finished I use "print screen" button, go over to paint and select "paste" then crop the photo and save it, then upload to photo host site. Its the old way of doing it i guess but it works for me and I like it better then just doing it with paint.

Boy, this amp has seen better days, the chassis has rust on it, its wired half assed, someone has bypassed burned traces on the PCB's, looks like the HV caps need to be replaced, the relay needs a good cleaning that is for sure. Guess its been out in the old shed a few years now. Surprised me it even power up. Dropped 2 watts swing to 10 into it and it Keyed up 20 watts and swung to just under 100 watts, has the old "dust burning" smell right about now - its headed back to the parts pile.
    Last edited by The Shadow; 12-04-2009 at 09:52 AM.

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey Shadow, thanks a lot. I really appreciate it. I'll have to take a closer look at mine this weekend. I really don't remember seeing that many wires:lol:
    my birthday is around the corner and I think my wife and kids might actually let me do stuff for myself this weekend. I'll post back and let you know how I make out.

Radio
    Too much to list
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take your time, check everything twice and use common sense, if unsure don't do it.

If you can use a VOM meter and know + from - on the line cord and can remember the chassis is always ground (green from line cord) and that the neutral ( - ) from the power cord should also flow to the chassis (as long as your house wiring is right this should be how it works), you'll do fine.

If your not sure and need help snap a good clear photo, provide some basic information and post it up, I'll try to walk you through it step by step.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast