User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wanted: Input on Uniden PC 78 Elite Build

I would like to start off by wishing everyone a Merry Christmas!! With that being said, I definitely received a gift this morning from my fiancé that I wasn’t expecting!… Apparently when we were walking around 4-State Trucks (Chrome Shop Mafia) during their “Guilty-By-Association” Truck Show I made a comment that I kind of liked how the Uniden Elites had ring style accent lights (like the old Cobra Night Hawks) as well as backlit words (like the Night Watches). I guess I also said that I thought that the reddish-orange lights would match the gauges on my 9900x International very well… Needless to say, I was told that I am a difficult person to buy for and that because she knew I had somewhat of a CB collection… I found a PC78 Elite Under our tree this morning…. J This is the first Uniden I’ve ever owned and although aesthetically I like it, I’m not really a fan of the 4 watts its pushing out… I know I can have it “screwdriver peaked” and see a noticeable improvement but I kind of had a bit more in mind… Is this 78 Elite worth starting with??? I have read a little about what seem to be some nice hard swinging 76 and 78 XL rigs but the specific mods were never really discussed. What should I have done to get this thing up to snuf with the “Export Radios” I’m used to?? Mosfets?? An RFX-75?? Variable Power?? I plan on running it barefoot or possibly paired driving a straight 4 pill and if I’m going to be using it much I want this to be a Uniden worth talking about!! Who should I have do the work???? Is there anybody known for clean, big talking bearcat builds???? I have already gathered that Radioactive Radios isn’t a good choice… Does anyone know anything about Sparky’s. Im going to be in East Central Illinois and thought I might swing by there if I had time… I really look forward to hearing some of your guys‘ input and hope that the rest of everyone’s Holiday season goes as well as mine has! May God Bless!

roaddog69 is offline Mature Mud Duck DX Numbers: 222 Home Channel: 27.165 26.995
    Radio
    Base Magnum S6 175 Imax 2000, Mobile Uniden 78XL, Stalker 10k Wilson 5000, Outlaw 500 4 pill. Back up radios: RCI 2970 and 2950
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah its a nice radio and I would do the RFX75 mod and have it done by mr 557. I have a 78XL with the mosfet mod and it swings about 50 watts,Myself I love the Uniden radio and I think they are better then a Cobra any day. hope this helps
    Oh and if you want a radio like an export buy an export you won't be sorry.
    Merry Christmas and God Bless

3. Thanks scottcupps thanked for this post
    295 is offline Skilled Mauldropper DX Numbers: 295 Home Channel: 19, 16, 38 LSB
    Radio
    295 Tuned Cobra 2000GTL, Uniden Grant XL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I purchased the same radio with a WIlson 1000 for my brother-in-law as a Christmas present to run in his commuter car. The Unidens are hard to beat for durability. I've been running the same Grant XL since 1993 without a problem. I wish I could say that about all the Galaxys, Rangers, and other export radios that I and my friends have owned over the years that turned out to be a POS. IMO the standard CB's tend to have a better receiver than the exports, in terms of adjacent channel signal rejection. There are a bunch of mods that can be done to the Uniden CB's to increase the transmit power.

2 Nine 5

Factoid, it was 97.689 miles from my mobile station to 631 in Hereford, MD, so you can talk farther than 71 miles on ground wave.:yesnod: You should take Lou Franklin's book and use it for a door stop...Breaka Breaka Breaka.

5. Thanks scottcupps thanked for this post
    10 Gauge is offline Tech Support DX Numbers: 509 Home Channel: 19
    Radio
    JVC KD-X50BT
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Items for Sale

That is a sweet radio to have competition tuned, no doubt about it. Excellent receive and ear dominating audio. The key is to send it to a tech that knows what they are doing. I recommend Monster 557 Radios or Rolling Radios to give you the best 78 Elite you could own.

7. Thanks scottcupps, N/A thanked for this post
    998 is offline Pro Mauldropper DX Numbers: 98 Home Channel: Any of them
    Radio
    I sometimes borrow THE NICKYBOTS Traffic cone ;)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First thing to think
    Are you going to run a amp ? I have had alot of Unidens and LOVE EM plain basic radios that walk the dog when tuned right I have never had one from the sponsors here for that matter never had a new one all mine came from Preacherman on thhe forum and was bad ass for sure hope the best with the NEW radio sounds like ya on the right track tho GOD BLESS THE TROOPS
    "The more Dedicated the more Medicated...."

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/w...carlinORLY.jpg

9. Thanks scottcupps thanked for this post
    Radio
    ---
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

557, rolling, or dustin at rrcom

11. Thanks scottcupps, N/A thanked for this post
    Crazy Eddie is offline Apprentice Mauldropper DX Numbers: 999 Home Channel: 19
    Radio
    Richie Radio Killer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do your self a favor and don't waste your money and time on those RFX-75 boxs, A well tuned virgin Elite 78 or any other will sound real nice matched to a 2 or 3 pill box and not have to spend to much, like the others guys say send your radio to a well known radio tech (557 radio or Rolling Radios) and you won't be sorry you didn't. Unidens are pretty solid radios when tuned right, as far as the other cb shops mentioned:frown2: well lets leave it at that. I own three Unidens tuned by Rolling Radios and I use them more than my exports I own.

Good Luck!! Merry Christmas to All !!!!

13. Thanks scottcupps, N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Guys!! Just a quick question? I’ve read some claims about what radios equipped with the rfx-75 will do barefoot but was curious what some of you might be seeing! I’ve pretty well decided that variable power is almost a must for me (so I can switch amps if necessary and dial in my deadkey) and wanted to make sure that both could be done together?? Im about 99.9% sure they can but would rather sound ignorant now than when I’m talking to the guy who will be working on the rig. Also does anybody have a ballpark price for such a build? I like the idea of everything contained in one box and feel like it would be cleaner to drive a 4 or 6 pill with such a setup, but before I go making any decisions want to weigh the price of such upgrades against a smaller two pill for driving. I think my couple Strikers with the onboard 2290 have spoiled me…. With that being said, I’m afraid if I get caught running something beside this radio that my fiancé got me in that International then I’ll probably need that “package” that MORTIMUSMAXIMUS told me I could get from “Radio Active”…..……..

Radio
    Full Jew
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Forget about that rfx75 junk, that's super trucker junk. Take that radio to someone who knows what their doing and get a good tune and a variable installed, then get on down the road with that bad ass uniden gangster audio...
    RDX

badwhiskey Guest

what Beercan said:yesnod:

Flying Dutchman is offline Radio Operator DX Numbers: 1309 Home Channel: 27.2750
    Radio
    Too many variations to list!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just get a good tune, that will give you great audio and a bit more wattage. if you want more power, add an amp, you can get amps in all sorts of output ranges, a 2 pill would match that radio well. They are really nice radios, I have a 68 XL and a 78 XL in the collection. Solid rigs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default UNIDEN

I have had excellent results with "SPARKYS CB" bought and tuned from him about 15 radios so far,give him a call and see what he recommends in the way of your matched Uniden radio with a good 2 pill box set up,he rarley gets a complaint and has been in business 25 years,anyone around that long has to be good....Rolling Radios basically kicked me off there board for talking about Sparkys,that was my impression,what does that tell you??

Nice radio,I have one,just to have as a spare...GALAXY67 BOB

Iceman is offline Thought Police DX Numbers: ---- Home Channel: 19
    Radio
    Some Stuff
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can consider Dustin @ R&R if you want a good talking radio. He specializes in competition tunes on 29's & unidens. a comp tune might be a little much though. if you're looking for more power, dont screw around with trying to squeeze blood from a stone (ie. trying to get high wattage from the radio itself) and get yourself an amp. just make sure the radio is putting out enough average power to hit the box properly. thats where a good tech will be valuable. i have had Dustin work my 959 and it rocks. Tank350NJ has a Uniden done by Nickybots and the radio is a screamer. The radio itself is built well and is worth having worked on

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in the same situation as you. I'm looking for a good mod that'll make my PC78 loud and drive the heck outta my amp. I wrote 557 on everyone's recommendations and am waiting a response. I'll let the amp do all the hard work I just need the radio loud and clear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's right driver!!!!!

roaddog69 is offline Mature Mud Duck DX Numbers: 222 Home Channel: 27.165 26.995
    Radio
    Base Magnum S6 175 Imax 2000, Mobile Uniden 78XL, Stalker 10k Wilson 5000, Outlaw 500 4 pill. Back up radios: RCI 2970 and 2950
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey 631
    Whats wrong with an export radio?!? export radios are ie..Magnum, galaxy,Connex, Ranger and as far as I know none of them can go up to 56mHz and my Magnum is not a splatter box and I bet 10 gauge isn't a splatter box either or anyone here running an export
    I will even go out on a limb and say my Magnum has cleaner audio and higher power and better recieve out of the box then any Comp tune cb radio
    Don't get me wrong I love my 78 its a great radio but its no Magnum
    and as for the RFX75 Doug from CustomCB likes them and Al from Sparkys also like them and there is nothing wrong with them and I know 3 guys in town that run the RXF75 on Cobras and 1 Uniden 66 and they all sound real good and don't splatter.
    I'm back out

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey scottcupps here a link for you

http://customcbradios.com/Cobra-29-B...5-P640941.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmx59g1Ovdo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6r21khyu1c&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esDX2lVRTb0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER6o7QI2qoI&feature=related
    Black chrome RFX75 audio test from 15 miles away mobile to mobile

For a $35.00 part I think you will like this. you can even drive an amp with it.
    Last edited by roaddog69; 12-28-2009 at 07:50 PM.

Crazy Eddie is offline Apprentice Mauldropper DX Numbers: 999 Home Channel: 19
    Radio
    Richie Radio Killer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to agree with 631, Its all about the audio claudio!!!! Not that an export doesn't sound clean it just creates alot more RF harmonics than a narrow banded CB (Cobra, Uniden) radio. I still think CB radio sounds better and cleaner without all that junk in the trunk,As for those other shops it looks good in the $$ sales and those happy meters.:frown2:

Reddog355 is offline Mauldropper DX Numbers: 355 Home Channel: 6,11,26,28
    Radio
    A radio and some pills
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did mine up with a new 1969final and varible power and called it a day.Great radio that sounds great.Keep it simple and let the amp do the work.I had a 29 with rfx and it just dident work well with my amps.Got warm quick to.Wasent for me.

captainMarvelous is offline Skilled Mauldropper DX Numbers: 613 Home Channel: 1-40
    Radio
    STD or 16NJ tuned Uniden hooked up to my gold box of rox which rocks.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mmmmm I like Jewniden Radios. I think the elite can tell you the future...

it's got weather, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast