User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude...that's one nice beam...this 6 element is huge, but yours makes even mine look like a toy..ha.ha. I'll see if I can get a pic of mine tomorrow. I also have a crank up tower...I'm up about 52' right now. How's the 8 element working for you man? Maybe I can catch you in dx sometime...I'm on 26 and 28 most of the time...just listen for (2.2.5. inthe BAM) 73's

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Marconi, here's a pic of my Lightning 6 quad..."although I stretched it out a bit more than spec"Attachment 4081

Radio
    Yaesu 101E, Varmit 250 Modulator,Drake L4B-Modded to 3K. Maco Flat 6 Beam
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice set up!! Have you had any other beams to compare it to. Here I have moonraker4, Maco flat6

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've ran a 2 element quad, 4 element quad...and this 6 element quad takes the cake by far. It is great both on vertical and horizontal...however, for just strictly talking dx I still believe a big single polarity flatside beam is the way to go. My next experiment (will be a while yet) is going to be trying either a stretched out 6 element flatside or a 7 element flatside (split driven)...73's

Radio
    Yaesu 101E, Varmit 250 Modulator,Drake L4B-Modded to 3K. Maco Flat 6 Beam
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I've ran a 2 element quad, 4 element quad...and this 6 element quad takes the cake by far. It is great both on vertical and horizontal...however, for just strictly talking dx I still believe a big single polarity flatside beam is the way to go. My next experiment (will be a while yet) is going to be trying either a stretched out 6 element flatside or a 7 element flatside (split driven)...73's
    Well the maco Flat 6 is single polarity with a quad reflector. 32ft boom. This started out as a flat 6 beam, I bought the proper items from maco and made it into a quad reflector 6 element. Id like some day to co-phase 2 of these. Needs to be on a crank down tower thats for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it doesn't have Tubes and have SSB its not a real radio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The crazy thing is we have emailed them twice now trying to get prices on the 4+ and 6 element and get no replies
    I guess business must be good as there phone was answering machine.
    Heck if I could buy a 6 element price being the issue I would be thrilled

Radio
    Gets the job done
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

they are saying they went out of business... dunno
    Everyone who complains about DEI's not making the same watts or not taking volts etc is an asshole.
    ~L1

I approve my post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by illenema View Post
    Nice set up!! Have you had any other beams to compare it to. Here I have moonraker4, Maco flat6
    Actually that 6 element Cubical Quad with lower angle of radiation will out perform even the 8 element maco yagi .
    The 4 element cubical quad would be the equivalent to a 6 element yagi beam but the quad will be quieter on noises like approaching storms etc
    Myself I would go with Dual Polarity Quad and never look back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sent them another email but never got a responce so I guess they dont want to sell antennas even if someone has a hold in their pocket.
    Telephone just got a voice message saying leave message......... I hung up.....
    In this day of technology you would think they would have a website setup to do a purchase of their products online.

Radio
    Browning Mark 3, Uniden Grant XL,Galaxy 95T, Are my main Radios in the hous
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cebik did alot of testing on quads and yagis and this is what he says

http://www.antennex.com/shack/Nov00/dan_edit.htm

Night Hawk is offline Skilled Mauldropper DX Numbers: 85r Home Channel: 12
    Radio
    Magnum S9, Pred. 10k
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

offtopic here, but: TheAntennaFarm has great customer services, i order a 2 meter tram 1150 got it and today had it out and noticed it was bent or something (the coil) i hit up the site and there sending me a new coil free of charge. w/o any hassles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually have a bit of info to offer here on Signal engineering. I ran a 6 element quad for quite a while and tried to get in touch with the company many times. Rumor had it that they went out of business....however, I just recently heard from a good friend of mine (trusted source) that the owner had some money problems, and lost the lease on the building where signal engineering was based. Because of this, all of his help of course has quit him, and he is presently left by himself with a rented storage facillity stacked full of all his equipment and parts. He fully intends to get another building and hire some help, so that he can start up again, but he said it will most likely be a few months. At least Signal Engineering isn't gone forever. I can get some parts, but it will take a little while. Let me know. 73's

Radio
    Castoff junk from mic to antenna.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try Cubex.

Radio
    cobra 2000gtl
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default signal engineering Lighting 4+

Hey Sandman,
    I ran into the same problem with Anthony trying get specs from him. My question is do have the original element lenths of your Lighting 4+. I want to order some new elements(wire) but Anthony can't support me at the moment. I've got the wire but I need to know the element lenths for the ref,driver,D1,D2. Can you please help me.

I've been running the SE quad for about 8 years and love it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks on the good info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Lil-bump, I took my quad apart and put it up awhile back. I didn't measure the element lengths because I didn't know at the time that it would be impossible to get any info from the company either. I will see what I can do about the wires...but honestly, I'm really not sure that mine are right either. However, I have a friend who is still running the original "white lightning" beam. His beam works great, and we know that his is in spec. We are going to take it down pretty soon and fix the beta match on his vertical side...when we do, I'm gonna measure out all the specs and write them down. Will shoot you some numbers...at that time....best I can do for now...sorry.

Radio
    cobra 2000gtl
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply

When you take the beam down. You just need to measure from one tape mark to the next tape mark that should be easier than measuring the entire element. I've got a set of measurements from Anthony at Signal Engineering but after analyzing them and testing the measurement always seem to be resonant at the very upper end of the 11 meter band.
    About 8 years ago I was ready to buy the SE quad but I told Anthony I would not give him my credit card number untill he gave me all of the element lenths. Well he finally did but I believe he fudge them just a little. I have since replaced all of my elements with copperweld.
    Copperweld is 10x stronger than the elements that Signal engineering uses. but I need to know where to cut the elements at. I was going to purchase an entire set from Anthony, take them apart; and measure them but, Anthony keeps giving me the run around. I understand he is trying to protect his investment. But his customers are suffering with no support from his now defunk company.
    I'm not sure the White Lighting has the same measurements as the Lighting 4+. I used to talked to the design engineeer for SE he was located in Montana, I can't remember his name but he is one of the patent owners for the SE beam. He has since fell out with Anthony I believe over owed money. He has since changed his number So I can not use him anymore for a resource.
    Are you still using a two piece drive element; if so; I've found a way to use a one piece element in the driver location which make the beam a lot stronger because you don have to use ring terminals. Look forward to hearing from you real soon.

Hello Marconi long time no speak. I got your email awhile back but I never got a reply??????

Radio
    Castoff junk from mic to antenna.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Copperweld is a hazard for someone to poke their eye out. The lawyers could put a manufacturer out of business in 5 minutes. I'd offer cheap wire too if it were me. Too many slip and fall people out there.

Radio
    cobra 2000gtl
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should be wearing safety glasses. Since the SE elements are already enclosed into a loop what's the danger. Just make the curent elements out of copperweld. I think SE would loose revenue because copper weld last too long. Thats just my personal opinion

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast