Radio
    Cobra 29 WX NW ST FatBoy 1x4 FatBoy 100 Amp Power Supply Imax 2000
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Midnight Special 700

So, I have a 03 Chevy S-10 ZR2 with the stock 110 amp alternator. Right now, I have a Cobra 29 LTD Classic with a Wilson 1000 mag mount antenna. I recently installed some 4 gauge wire and have it all ready for a linear.

Will my set-up handle an amp the size of a Midnight Special 700? Can I get some opinions about the amp? I don't talk a lot of SSB, and I feel like you get some real bang for your buck with the 700...

Radio
    Old Junk that smells of dust
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The fuse needs to be as close to the battery as possible. That fuse will do absolutely nothing to protect the amplifier. It needs to protect the vehicle from a fire that will burn it to the ground so put the + fuse as close to the battery as possible. You really do not need a fuse on the negative conductor.
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Gauge View Post
    I'm sorry bro. I found out the hard way that dude likes to suck dicks and get his buttfuck on when he tried to seduce me in his radio shack... He put on some high heels, lipstick and let down that long nappy hair of his and told me to get brown. I was like nahhhh bro, you're not my type, sorry dawg, gotta get going.

Trying not to choke on that 10 ohm smoke.

ElDiablo is offline Mud Duck DX Numbers: 959 Home Channel: 19, 20, 30
    Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm using the fuses as butt connectors. I don't have the soldering equipment to put quick disconnects on 4 and 8 gauge wire, and I'm not a fan of crimping. Will my alt handle this amp?

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ElDiablo View Post
    I'm using the fuses as butt connectors. I don't have the soldering equipment to put quick disconnects on 4 and 8 gauge wire, and I'm not a fan of crimping. Will my alt handle this amp?
    You can leave the fuses there but you still need one as close to the battery as possible.
    If you want quick discos and don't want to solder use these Attachment 4582 They are by far the bast disconnects you can use in my personal opinion.
    You can solder cheap if you need to with a propane torch and a roll of rosin core solder.
    As far as the alternator goes, it will just barely handle it. If you are expecting to hold 14 plus volts at the amp under full power it will be tough, almost impossible with the truck running, lights, ac etc. etc in use. It will however work fine and is commonly done.
    I'm sorry bro. I found out the hard way that dude likes to suck dicks and get his buttfuck on when he tried to seduce me in his radio shack... He put on some high heels, lipstick and let down that long nappy hair of his and told me to get brown. I was like nahhhh bro, you're not my type, sorry dawg, gotta get going.

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool. I actually just got the 700 on order. I've never seen that disconnect before just the anderson style which I'm not a fan of. I'm just trying to get 500 watts out of the old mobile. I have a 1 x 4 all 2879's with a 100 amp power supply and a cobra 29 on the base and it'll do about 650 watts. I think the Midnight Special gives you a lot of features for the money.

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Quote Originally Posted by ElDiablo
    Cool. I actually just got the 700 on order. I've never seen that disconnect before just the anderson style which I'm not a fan of. I'm just trying to get 500 watts out of the old mobile. I have a 1 x 4 all 2879's with a 100 amp power supply and a cobra 29 on the base and it'll do about 650 watts. I think the Midnight Special gives you a lot of features for the money.
    The midnight specials have a cheesy cooling system that only cools the inside which just keeps the solder from melting. The heatsink is what needs cooling. You really do get less with them and that is why they are cheaper.

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The FatBoy that I have I am really unsatisfied with. Biggest hunk of junk I have ever bought. Same with the FatBoy power supply. Texas Star is the best IMO.

Captain Morgan is offline Watching & Learning DX Numbers: 400 Home Channel: 19, and skip
    Radio
    A radio, a box, and an antenna. fuck it, just puck it
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wirelessly posted (Captain Morgan NJ 400 mobeal: Treo800w/v0100 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE, PPC; 320x320) (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

just my 2, but you should be seeing 1000 - 1100 pep without a problem on a 1X4.
    If you only want 500 pep in your ride, a Davemade 1X2 will do that and would more than likely run to full power on your stock alt.

instigator is offline Pro Mauldropper DX Numbers: 427 Home Channel: All of them
    Radio
    One of everybody's
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Captain Morgan NJ 400 mobeal: Treo800w/v0100 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE, PPC; 320x320) (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

If you only want 500 pep in your ride, a Davemade 1X2 will do that and would more than likely run to full power on your stock alt.

Yeah on a Dosy.

Captain Morgan is offline Watching & Learning DX Numbers: 400 Home Channel: 19, and skip
    Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by instigator

Yeah on a Dosy.
    no, on a bird.

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

no, on a bird.
    I will bet a beer that it will not do 1100 on bird peak meter with the radio and alt combo he has.

Radio
    706MIIG m104c
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -=PEAKABOO=- View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

The midnight specials have a cheesy cooling system that only cools the inside which just keeps the solder from melting. The heatsink is what needs cooling. You really do get less with them and that is why they are cheaper.
    peak is right...you are getting what you paid for

good lil cheap amp...but you should go the comp style if you want watts day in and day out

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not looking to volt the box or anything. Just a box for my daily driver. 350 bucks for a texas star 500 that will only do 400 watts is way to much money for what I'm planning to use it as. I'm not trying to win a contest with this thing... just talk.

But anyway, that FatBoy I have is LUCKY to do 700 watts on my Dosy with a galaxy 99v behind it. I am really disappointed with it. I've had to send the damn thing back twice for repairs. And that FatBoy power supply I bought, It came to me new with a broken switch and a fan that didn't work. Hunk of junk. Be warned

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy
    Quote Originally Posted by -=PEAKABOO=- View Post

peak is right...you are getting what you paid for

good lil cheap amp...but you should go the comp style if you want watts day in and day out
    you guys are right for what his set up is if he's running a 1X4. my point was if he only wants to see 500 pep, a good 1X2 should do that the way he is set up now. That setup was how I was last year in my blazer