User Tag List

Fogdog is offline Apprentice Mauldropper DX Numbers: 157 Home Channel: none really
    Radio
    Stryker SR 955 HPC,10k Dual coil SW
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Shooting Star 225 plus amp

Hope you all can help. I just got an old Shooting Star 225 Plus. The question is now what the hell do I do? I see how to wire it up, but I have no idea past that as far as antenna's, coax, or whatever else I would need to know.
    I have a Cobra 29 LX that is stock except I did turn Vr4 up, and I have a 3 foot Firestick antenna. (fiberglass). The guy I got it from said the amp would melt this antenna. Can you help me out? I'm tired of spending all day listening to skip, and not getting out. I have but it's rare.

Thanks for any help

Crusher is offline Pro Mauldropper DX Numbers: 2190 Home Channel: the trax
    Radio
    Grant XL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That amp only likes about a 2W carrier/ dead key. Much more than that and you'll burn it up. Turn it down. Also you'll need a jumper from radio to amp. If you are going to use a meter to see your wattage/ output, you'll need another jumper from amp to meter. Then hook up your antenna to meter. Hopefully its marked input /radio and output/ antenna. Just make sure no more than a 2 watt DK. Or you will have a meltdown.

Fogdog is offline Apprentice Mauldropper DX Numbers: 157 Home Channel: none really
    Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, I dont have a External SWR meter, just the one on the radio. How do I know what my dead key output is? Will the firestick and rg 58 coax work?
    Last edited by Fogdog; 03-22-2013 at 06:10 PM.

Radio
    Grant XL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Without an external swr/power meter you wont know what you are putting out or if amp is putting out.

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Crusher, thanks for your help. I've been putting off getting a SWR meter for some time now. I reckon It's time to get one. Using the two way is easy, but getting to know all the differant aspects of really knowing about radio is a learning process for sure. I'm in for the long haul. Been into the cb's for a long time, but never on the modding side of it. I've got an old Realistic TRC-492 that I will be hooking up soon as the base, but I want my 29 in my truck to get out more. I know this amp I just got is anceint, but "hey" I just traded a old toolbox for it. Trying to clear out the garage a bit. Anyway any radio wisdom is always appreciated.

Radio
    Grant XL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That 3 foot firestick needs to go. Hell a nice 5' francis worked great for me when I started out. I run a wilson 5000 and it works great. The shorter then antenna , the less you will get out and receive. The antenna is more important than a radio or amp.

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^^^Roger that. I do have a Wilson Lil Wil, but the Firestick receives better. I do not know if that antenna would work with this amp. There websit says it will handle 300 watts. I don't think that amp will put that much out. The guy said it would .

Radio
    Icom IC-707, Siltronix 1011D, Cobra 2000
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, the 3' fiberglass whip needs to go otherwise your wasting your time. At the very least a Wilson 1000 with the factory 62" whip.

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives. - Ronald Reagan

stealth is offline Apprentice Mauldropper DX Numbers: 231
    Radio
    Magnum 257, TNT HD 600 amp, 102 whip
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ditto. 3 inch CB whips = pure garbage.

Wilson 1000 = good CB antenna.

Better than a Wilson 1000 would be a 102 whip.

Radio
    Magnum S-6, 4 pill, 10k comp
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea the little wil and wilson 1000, 2000, and 5000 antennas are in different leagues.. the little wil SUCKS... the bigger wilsons are pretty good performance wise though... or for around the same money after shipping you can get a predator 10k.. after have 2 wilsons break on me thats what i did. Try not to get a complete crap meter either, probably the cheapest one i could recommend would be the radioshack power/swr meter... not the most accurate thing power wise but its in the ballpark (mine was about 10% off) and theyre good for swr readings.

rewster is offline Radio Operator DX Numbers: 360 Home Channel: 17-19-26-28-34
    Radio
    cobra 29 lx peaked and tuned Galaxy Dx 8
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i also have a cobra 29 lx im so damn pissed off at it im ready to boot it wanna buy it? its peaked and tuned sant figure out why i cant turn up the rf gain up or the squelch... i can only hear people when they are down

I dont live to kiss peoples asses if they dont like what i have to say kiss my ass!

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^^ I have the 29 LX, and I like thge features it has especially the scan, and the memory Channels only scan. So far the radio has been good to me. I usually try to make calls when the skip is rolling but I live in a hollow with trees and hills all around me, so I can understand why I don't get out from here.

I was driving down the road a week ago just below my house , and I taked to the Heartbreaker in Missouri, so thats not bad. It was real clear on both ends. The only thing I have done was turn up VR4. I think that helped. There is nobody up here that will touch a radio that I know of, so I'm pretty much on my own. Hence all the questions.

I never felt the need to boost power before, but now it's a hobby and I want to have some fun. Hope you work out the problems with yours.

Radio
    jc penney 6238 base
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hello. i also have a shooting star 225. i am putting 2 1/2 watts into it, it dead keys 95 watts and swings to 125 watts. i am using a cobra 29 ltd classic as a base station, i can talk a little skip and talk to the locals ok. i am using a antron 99 base antenna. overall the 225 shooting star does an ok job.

dirtywhiteboy is offline Mauldropper DX Numbers: 327 Home Channel: 19
    Radio
    Davemade w/29,xf
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you say truck, what kind? Is it a pickup or tractor? The type of vehicle and your vehicles ground plane play a big part.

VR4 will adjust the modulation only
    You will need to check the carrier or deadkey with a rf or power meter to make sure of "watts" going into the amp, too much and it's gonna get hot and somethings gonna go.
    Swr meter is used to check and adjust your antenna and coax to the radio.

You can go to Wilson's or firesticks website for more info on antennas and swr.
    Then before you go any further remember your antenna system, not just the antenna, but the coax, mounting, etc are what make the system. If you have a $500 radio hooked up with a $5 antenna system it's gonna sound like a $5 radio.
    Get your antenna and swr right before you add an amp.
    "Come on tell dah truth you wanta fill her up width cheese-wiz"

Radio
    Grant XL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A shooting star 225 has 1446's in it. You should only be dead keying around 60W if you want it to last.

Radio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine is a pickup truck. Sorry for the confussion.