User Tag List

reaper Guest

Cool antron 99 ground plane kit

hello i have a antron 99 just wondering if it would be worth it to install the ground plane kit. wil i receive more, will i get out more plz let me no

thanks

bill

MoJo is offline MoJo's Radio Shop DX Numbers: 519 Home Channel: 1 6 12 19 28
    Radio
    PC76XLW, NJ Dave Made 1x4, LMR400, Pred 10K 12" Comp
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you will find mixed reviews...

some say yeas, some say no.

I have heard it just makes more noise than anything else and doesnt improve the receive at all...

mauldropper is offline Apprentice Mauldropper Home Channel: Bowl!!
    Radio
    Step on up and find out!!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default groundplane kit

Quote Originally Posted by reaper View Post
    hello i have a antron 99 just wondering if it would be worth it to install the ground plane kit. wil i receive more, will i get out more plz let me no

thanks

bill
    Save your jack, we tested this 15 yrs ago...

Your friend in the corn!!

reaper Guest

ok thanks

duckkiller127 is offline Skilled Mauldropper DX Numbers: 127 Home Channel: 31,28,22,19
    Radio
    Bull-it Built Equipment
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

keep your money, complete waste

Marconi is offline Mauldropper DX Numbers: 390 Home Channel: 39 38 36
    Radio
    Cobra 148, Teaberry Stalker XV, TS570D,
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reaper View Post

thanks

bill
    Bill, I am curious how Mauldropper did his testing, because when I did my comparisons I found I could not tell a difference on-air too, but when I tested the antennas, with and without the GPK, using my inline meter and my analyzer at the feed point, I did find a difference that could be considered an improvement when using the GPK, and that did surprised me.

I also believe this issue depends a lot on the location and the soil conditions around the antenna. That said, I think if the A99 with a GPK was installed over good or very good soil it may add to the effectivness of the A99 by a small degree and remain undetectable, but when the antenna is located over poor, very poor, or extremely poor soil the differences may be much greater---having a magnitude large enough to be detected with on-air comparisons as well. This may be why we hear mixed type reviews from time to time.

Maybe Mauldropper will tell us how he tested and I will try to duplicate his efforts.
    http://www.mauldroppers.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=286&dateline=12467719  20Ole Grandpa on his Marconi6 antenna says,

"Ole grandpa - Corpus Christi, Texas, broadcasting live and in color."

We are lucky Mother Nature doesn't require our antennas to be perfect...in order to talk on our radios.

mauldropper is offline Apprentice Mauldropper Home Channel: Bowl!!
    Radio
    Step on up and find out!!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A-99

Quote Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
    Bill, I am curious how Mauldropper did his testing, because when I did my comparisons I found I could not tell a difference on-air too, but when I tested the antennas, with and without the GPK, using my inline meter and my analyzer at the feed point, I did find a difference that could be considered an improvement when using the GPK, and that did surprised me.

I also believe this issue depends a lot on the location and the soil conditions around the antenna. That said, I think if the A99 with a GPK was installed over good or very good soil it may add to the effectivness of the A99 by a small degree and remain undetectable, but when the antenna is located over poor, very poor, or extremely poor soil the differences may be much greater---having a magnitude large enough to be detected with on-air comparisons as well. This may be why we hear mixed type reviews from time to time.

Maybe Mauldropper will tell us how he tested and I will try to duplicate his efforts.
    Hello Marconi,
    I'll try to make this short It's 1:28 Am And I gotta get up early.
    Mid 90s shyboy and mad dog both best of buddys both did everything together other then screw each others wives lol Anywhow, These guys both 40 ft rohn 25 towers both 10 ft of pipe 7-8 ft above neck of tower with
    A-99s I sold them ok. These two guys both went out and bought president madisons which were a popular radio at the time
    , dosy 2000pm meters, both had 100 ft of beldon 9913 coax,both had 3 ft 9913 jumpers. NO amps. At that time anyways. Reason why I know these facts is because I sold them all there equpiment.

Now mind you thse two guys lived one block away from each other maybe a football field apart.. One night on 26.835 a group of of were Bsing and they brought up the GPK if they really made a diffrence and if it were worth spending the jack. I told the two well tell ya what If you guys want i'll sell them the gpks for cost and they could determind signal diffrences and recieve diffrences with the other 3 people that were on the channel including myself. Both agreed to purchase the gpks.

Now theres nothing super scientific about any of this but you can come to your own conclusions. I was some where around 15 miles from them both, a station in michigan city indiana 20 miles give or take a few miles or so, another in michigan 40+ miles.. Now this group talked every night and everyone knew what one another gave each other on the signal meter..I was trying to make this short but this is ending up a book lol...

Anyways to cut this somewhat short,the transmit signal never changed one ioda to any of us including the man in michigan 40+ miles out.. The two stated they couldn't see any changes in recieve aswell. After these two jokers talked for a few weeks or so on the gpk ,the one claimed he did seem to notice picking up less static noise since he had the gpk, the second stated he did'nt notice any decreses in any static noise on his.

I came to my own conclusion I would'nt recommend the gkp to any of my customers. Whether it did help a tad bit and none of us could tell the diffrence or not. If a man can't tell any type of diffrence on talking on A-99 with a gpk vs not having one, then to me it's not worth the move or jacking around taking an antenna down to add one.

Back in those days Marconi ,no one around here had anything like a mfj. In your comparisons you stated you as well could'nt tell any "on the air diffrences" And with a analyzer you did find a diffrence that "could be considered an improvement". I was curious on what that reading showed that would considered an improvement and also in your own opinion is that "Considered improvement" worth purchasing the gpk??

Your correct on the location of the test,terrain, lots of variables on that test I was describing above to be a 100% true scientific test, but once again my opinion it's still not worth the jack. If I bought a gpk and never could tell any diffrence what so ever after installing it, I'd be asking myself why in the hell did I waste my money LOL..

Enjoyed the topic Marconi, it's now 2:24Am and my book here is finished, Im off to bed....:thumbsup:

God Bless

Your friendly neighborhood tired Mauldropper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!